Effective January 6, 2022, there will be a mask mandate for all public indoor spaces within the City of Holyoke.

For the latest information about  COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) Recovery, click here to visit our dedicated page.

Click here to sign up for city emergency alerts

***Due to transmission issues, this evening\'s (1-18-22) City Council meeting is unlikely to be broadcast on Channel 15 as it normally would be. The meeting will remain available in person, on the website live stream, and on Zoom
A recording will also be available this week, as always. We apologize for the unanticipated issue, and any inconvenience caused by it.***

Stormwater Information


The following Stormwater Management Program (SWMP) and associated documents have been prepared to comply with requirements of EPA’s recently reauthorized NPDES Phase 2 MS4 Stormwater Regulations and General Permit issued to the City of Holyoke.

  1. City of Holyoke 2020 MS4 (Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System) Report (Link)
  2. City of Holyoke 2019 MS4 (Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System) Report (Link)
  3. City of Holyoke Stormwater Permit Notice of Intent (NOI) for coverage under Small MS4 General Permit (Link)
  4. Connecticut River Stormwater Committee MS4 Annual Report 2020 (Link)
  5. Stormwater Regulations Adopted May 17, 2010 (Link)
  6. Stormwater Regulations Revised July 27, 2021 — Effective Date September 1, 2021 (Link)
  7. Stormwater Ordinance (Link)
  8. Stormwater Management Program (Link)
  9. Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination (IDDE) Program 2020 (Link)
  10. Combined Sewer Overflows (CSOS) and our Rivers (Link)
  11. Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (Link)
  12. Stormwater Permit Application (Link)
  13. Stormwater Permit Application Checklist – Large Development 2020 (Link)
  14. Stormwater Permit Application Checklist – Small Development 2020 (Link)
  15. Understanding Stormwater Management (Link)
  16. Grading and Soil Erosion Control Ordinance (Link)
  17. Construction Activities and Stormwater Discharge (Link)

Developing a Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) for Construction Sites.

Construction sites are required to comply with stormwater discharge requirements. Stormwater runoff from construction sites can cause significant harm to our rivers, lakes, and coastal waters. A Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) is required (by your construction general permit) and will help you prevent stormwater pollution. A SWPPP is more than just a sediment and erosion control plan. It describes all the construction site operator’s activities to prevent stormwater contamination, control sedimentation and erosion, and comply with the requirements of the Clean Water Act.

The SWPPP provides guidance to construction site operators who have day-to-day supervision and operational control over construction activities occurring at the construction site. The following Link provides guidance to assist you in developing a good Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP). (Link)

Stormwater Discharges from Construction Activities

Why do stormwater discharges from construction activities matter? When it rains, stormwater washes over the loose soil on a construction site, along with various materials and products being stored outside. As stormwater flows over the site, it can pick up pollutants like sediment, debris, and chemicals from that loose soil and transport them to nearby storm sewer systems or directly into rivers, lakes, or coastal waters. EPA works with construction site operators to make sure they have the proper stormwater controls in place so that construction can proceed in a way that protects your community’s clean water and the surrounding environment.

Who needs to get permit coverage?

In general, the NPDES stormwater program requires permits for discharges from construction activities that disturb one or more acres and discharges from smaller sites that are part of a larger common plan of development or sale. Depending on the location of the construction site, either the state or EPA will administer the permit. See the EPA webpage for Authorization Status for Construction and Industrial Stormwater Programs (Link) to find out whether EPA or your state is the permitting authority for construction activities. You can also use the “Do I Need a Permit?” flow chart (Link) to help determine if and from whom you need to get NPDES to permit coverage for your construction activities.

Additional Stormwater Pollution Prevention Information can be found at the following links:

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) (Link)

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Stormwater Program (Link)

Massachusetts Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)  Permits (Link)

Connecticut River Stormwater Committee

The Connecticut River Stormwater Committee is a coalition working to share information and collaborate on fulfilling obligations under the EPA stormwater permit (known as the General Permit for Stormwater Discharges from the Small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems in Massachusetts or MS4 permit).  The Committee has membership from 19 municipalities and the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, and is facilitated in its work by the Pioneer Valley Planning Commission.  The group’s primary work is to promote education and outreach about stormwater impacts on the Connecticut River.  Their website is an important element of that work. (LinkAlso follow them on Facebook (Link)

Think Blue Masschusetts

Think Blue Massachusetts is an award-winning campaign run by the Massachusetts Statewide Municipal Stormwater Coalition. They are made up of ten regional stormwater groups. They all joined forces in 2016 to help towns and cities meet their stormwater permit requirements. All together they represent 130 communities across the state. Their mission is to help residents and businesses take steps to reduce runoff and keep our state’s lakes, rivers, and streams clean and healthy. (Link)

Landscapes for Clean and Plentiful Water Greenscapes.org (Link)

Fertilizer, Think more is better? (Link)

Get wise about your lawn (Link)

Pet Waste Management (Link)

Put Your Butts in the Trash (Link)


Close window