Effective January 6, 2022, there will be a mask mandate for all public indoor spaces within the City of Holyoke.

For the latest information about  COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) Recovery, click here to visit our dedicated page.

Click here to sign up for city emergency alerts


In the City of Holyoke, a permit is required for street or sidewalk occupancy including: sidewalk sales, block parties, demonstrations, parades, road races, posting of signs, or for any projections onto or over a street or sidewalk. A road opening permit is required for any road excavations for a sewer line or water line or gas line connections or repairs and a trench permit may also be required. A homeowner or the homeowner’s contractor requires a permit for a new driveway construction or to repave, resurface or to modify an existing driveway. In addition, a road opening permit is required for new driveway construction or for changes to an existing driveway.

Permits Required

  • Street/Sidewalk Occupancy Permit
  • Road Opening Permit
  • Trench Permit
  • Driveway Permit
  • Sewer Connection Permit
  • Stormwater Permit

NOTE: A Trench Permit may be required in addition to a Road Opening Permit depending on the circumstances. All fillable applications for permits are listed below or can be obtained from the DPW at the Canal Street Office. You may call the Department of Public Works at 322-5645 for more information.

Permit Fees

Permit Fees Schedule (Link)

Sanitary Sewer Entrance Fees (Link)

Note: Stormwater Permit Fees for Large and Small Developments are listed on the Application for Stormwater Permit Form listed below.

Permit Applications

Application for Permit to Occupy or Obstruct the Public Way (Link)

Application for a Road Opening Permit (Link)

Application for Trench Permit (Link)

Application for Driveway Permit (Link)

Application for Sewer Connection Permit (Link)

Application for Stormwater Permit for Large or Small Development (Link)

The following Checklists will assist in the Stormwater Permit Application process.

  1. Stormwater Permit Application Checklist - Large Development (Link)
  2. Stormwater Permit Application Checklist - Small Development (Link)

Additional Construction Information for Owners and/or Contractors

Our goal is to provide you and your contractor with all the necessary information to perform your work in compliance with City Ordinance and City Standards and Regulations, as well as State and Federal Standards and Regulations where applicable. Please reference our Stormwater Information Page for additional information (Link). If you have any questions, please give us a call. (413-322-5645)

  • City Driveway Standards (Link)
  • Excavation and Trench Safety (Link)
  • Excavation and Trenches Frequently Asked Questions (Link)
  • Grading and Soil Erosion Control Ordinance (Link)
  • Construction Activities and Stormwater Discharge (Link)
  • Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (Link)
  • Stormwater Ordinance (Link)
Close window