Public Works

One of the larger City Departments, the Department of Public Works is responsible for taking good care of streets and sidewalks, the storm water and sewer system, and other important infrastructure to ensure the City of Holyoke maintains a quality community. We stay quite busy providing many essential city services. These include:

  • street and sidewalk maintenance
  • repaving and repair
  • engineering and design
  • refuse collection
  • recycling
  • yard waste collection
  • forestry operations
  • emergency traffic control
  • permitting
  • sewer billing and collection
  • sewage / stormwater collection and treatment
  • winter road salt application and snow removal
  • city owned vehicle and equipment maintenance and repair
  • operation, maintenance and repair of City owned Parks and Public Buildings

Told you we were busy!


Robert Peirent - City Engineer


David Beaudoin - Superintendent of Outdoor Works


John Twohig - City Forester

(413) 322-5645

No posts found.



David Moore, Chairman / Term expires Feb 1, 2020

Jose Garcia, Commissioner / Term expires Feb 1, 2022

Quinn Lonczak, Commissioner / Term expires Feb 1, 2021


The board of public works shall have cognizance, direction and control:

(a) of the construction, location, repair, care and lighting of streets, ways and sidewalks;

(b) of the construction, alteration, repair and care of public buildings;

(c) of the construction, alteration, repair and care of main drains or common sewers;

(d) of the construction, alteration, repair, care and maintenance of public bridges;

(e) of the care, superintendence and management of the public grounds, except public parks, belonging to said city, and of the shade and ornamental trees growing therein. 


The said board may require that no person or corporation authorized by the city council to dig up any public street or sidewalk in said city shall begin such digging before furnishing to such board of public works security satisfactory to them to restore such streets or sidewalks to their former condition.  The said board of public works, except as herein otherwise provided, shall have exclusively the powers and be subject to the liabilities and penalties imposed by law upon road commissioners of towns.  The general superintendent of public works under the direction of the said board of public works, shall supervise all work of the public works department and shall have sole charge of carrying out the orders and policies of said board. He shall perform such other duties, not inconsistent herewith, as the city council may prescribe.


The Board of Public Works / Sewer Commission / Stormwater Authority Meeting Schedules are listed on the City Public Meetings and Hearings Calendar (Link).  Meetings are held in the Department of Public Works Conference Room, 63 Canal Street, Holyoke.


Minutes to previous meetings are available by calling the DPW at 322-5645. Current Meeting Minutes can be accessed at the following (Links):


Policy / Regulations / Ordinance

A division of the DPW under the direction of the City Engineer, we provide support, assistance, and oversight for new development and redevelopment applicants to ensure compliance with City standards and local, state, and federal law. We also support internal customers for the operations and maintenance of city facilities and infrastructure. We also welcome public inquiries for traffic issues and other general information.


Our services include:

    • New development planning and final engineering review
    • Subdivision project review and administration
    • Stormwater Management Plans review
    • Construction Project Inspection
    • Driveway Permit application review and approval
    • Sewer Connection permit review and approval
    • Traffic Control and street signage
    • Reviews, evaluates, and implements the design of traffic system improvements
    • Speed and traffic volume surveys and record keeping
    • Maintenance of citywide addresses
    • Maintain maps of citywide infrastructure, including sewer, and drainage systems
    • Responding to public information requests 


Building Permit Requirements

The following is a Permit List that in general will be required or issued from the Department of Public Works / Engineering Department prior to the issuance of a Building Permit.


City Maps

If you need to research information concerning these maps and records you can call the Department of Public Works at 322-5645.



The Engineering Department is located at the City Hall Annex, 20 Korean Veterans Plaza, Third Floor, Room 300, Holyoke MA. 01040-5078. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.

Did you know that just one acre of trees can remove up to 2.6 tons of carbon dioxide from the air each year? That is only one of many reasons why the City of Holyoke values its trees and forests because of the many benefits they provide to the community. 

The City Forester’s Office is responsible for the maintenance of all trees along the street within the public right-of-way, in parks and around City facilities. In general, street trees are located between the curb and sidewalk. Where there is not a sidewalk, the width of the right-of-way must be determined in order to know if a tree is maintained by the City or on private property.

The objectives of the City Forester’s Office are to:

  • Preserve, protect and manage Holyoke’s urban forest through tree pruning and other preventative maintenance.
  • Enhance public safety by removing dead, dying, hazardous and utility conflicted trees.
  • Improve the quality of Holyoke’s urban forest areas by providing beautification to parks and neighborhoods.


Environmental Benefits of Trees


  • Improved water quality — Trees reduce erosion and absorb pollutants before they enter streams.
  • Stormwater management — Trees intercept rainfall, which slows storm water runoff and reduces flooding. 
  • Improved air quality — Trees absorb air pollutants such as carbon monoxide, ozone and sulfur dioxide. Trees also produce oxygen and play an important role in carbon sequestration.
  • Climate control — Trees cool in the summer by intercepting sunlight reducing the amount of heat absorbed by streets, parking lots and buildings. Trees also allow sunlight to warm these same areas during the winter.
  • Shelter for wildlife.


Reporting Felled Trees and Branches

To report a felled tree or downed or hanging branches, call (413) 322-5645. If a tree or branch has caused electric utility wires to come down, call Holyoke Gas and Electric (HG&E) at (413) 536-9300

The Highway Department operation provides for the repair and maintenance of the city street and sidewalk systems through effective programs including pothole patching, crack filling, street sweeping, pavement management, street and regulatory sign replacement, crosswalk and line painting.  In addition, during inclement weather, we are dedicated to providing public safety by means of efficient treatment of our road system, through salting and plowing.

Frequently Asked Questions


Q: How do I get a pot hole repaired?

A: Call the Pothole Hotline at 322-5680 and let them know where the pothole is located. It will be put on a list and scheduled to be repaired as soon as possible.

Q: Who do I call to get the street curb/berm repaired?

A: Call the Department of Public Works at 322-5645. We will investigate the situation and it will be put on a list and scheduled to be repaired as soon as possible.

Q: What if my sidewalk is a safety hazard and who do I call to get it repaired?

A: Call the Department of Public Works at 322-5645. We will investigate the situation and it will be put on a list and scheduled to be repaired as soon as possible.

Q: If a street sign (stop, one-way, etc.) is missing or knocked down, who should I call?

A: Call the Department of Public Works Office at 322-5645 with the location and type of sign. We will schedule our Sign Crew to correct the situation as soon as possible.

Q: My street has not been plowed or sanded yet, who should I call?

A: If it is not an emergency, please be patient, as your street will be plowed and sanded as soon as possible. All main roads must be attended to before we can begin residential streets. If there is an emergency situation you can call the Department of Public Works at 322-5645. If there is a medical emergency, call 911.


NOTE: Any of the above stated issues and others may also be addressed via the following Mobile App. If you join the community on SeeClickFix! You’ll be able to…

  • Report issues Find a pothole? Lose a pet? Document issues around your city to get your government’s attention.
  • Connect with neighbors find issues, ideas, and discussions already taking place in your neighborhood.
  • Leave happy helping your neighborhood feels good, whether it’s getting that broken streetlight reported or helping your neighbor shovel snow.


The Division of Waste and Recycling strives to integrate the mission and vision of the Department of Public Works by providing high quality services with outstanding customer service to residents, schools, and businesses in Holyoke. By establishing comprehensive but attainable goals, we along with the citizens of Holyoke, will continue to save resources, energy, and landfill space while reducing pollution and trash tonnage.


From household trash to yard waste to hazardous waste, Holyoke is committed to providing services that result in waste handling that is processed and disposed of in a proper and environmental friendly and economical manner.



Friday, December 21, 2018 will be the last day this season that the Yard Waste Facility will be open for public drop off.  The DPW will continue to collect curbside yard waste and Christmas trees through the third week of January 2019.  The hours will be 8 AM – 3:45 PM.
DPW has scheduled 2018 Hazardous Waste Days.  They are going to be:
June 9, 2018
October 6, 2018
No Holidays



Holyoke, again has set the standard for Recycling in Western Mass. Springfield Materials Recycling Facility (MRF) noted that for the period of July through December of 2015, the City of Holyoke recorded a payable tonnage delivered – 948.78 tons. Number One in the Western Mass MRF community out of 66 communities. This information was released by the Department of Environmental Protection, MassDEP.


DPW Recycling Drop-off Center

This facility is a self service operation. It will be much easier if you separate your recyclable items before you arrive. Properly loading your vehicle will make your visit as simple and fast as possible. We will be glad to assist you. Vehicle loading information is provided to help guide you through the Recycling Center Operation: Tips for loading your vehicle 


  • The facility is open Monday through Friday from 7:15 am to 2:30 pm
  • It is also open on Saturday after a holiday from 7:15 am till Noon
  • It is located at 63 Canal Street, however, you must enter from North East Street.


Additional DPW Recycling Center Information – Earth911 provides information on hours, location, and helps you sort out the sometimes confusing world of recycling.


Frequently asked Trash and Recycling Questions – When will my trash be picked up? Where can I get a Recycling bin? Is there a fee to dump? And many more questions are answered here.


Curbside Waste Collections. The Department of Public Works collects trash Monday through Friday.  Please call them at 322-5645 to find out the day for the weekly pickup on your street.


Curbside Acceptable/Unacceptable Information– Trying to figure out what to trash or recycle?  Learn more about which items are acceptable and which items are not.


Yard Waste – Grass clippings, weeds, twigs and branches, oh my! We can help! Yard waste drop off site information is found here.

Disposal of Needles and Syringes – State Medical Waste Regulations forbid the disposal of Needles, Syringes, and Sharps Containers in household garbage or recycling bins.

*****The HOT LINE phone number to call is: (413) 650-2679.****

Electronics Recycling – Unwanted consumer electronics – cell and smart phones, computers and monitors, televisions, DVD and MP3 players, pagers, PDAs and other devices – are the fastest-growing category of waste in Massachusetts. Learn about ways you can recycle or reuse these items.


Curbside Recycling – Earth911 provides information for the residents of Holyoke about our Curbside Recycling Program.

Reduce and Reuse
– The State of Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection offers some great tips on Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.


Recycling Partners – The Springfield Materials Recycling Facility exists to promote recycling and to advise the Department of Environmental Protection and the Materials Recycling Facility about enhancing and sustaining recycling in the region.


Hazardous Waste – Ever wonder how safe your common household items are? Hazardous waste is waste that is dangerous or potentially harmful to our health or the environment. Hazardous wastes can be liquids, solids, gases, or sludges. Learn ways to properly dispose of them through waste management.



June 10th

October 7th


***Call DPW one week before to obtain an appointment to bring your hazmat down to DPW

Holyoke DPW # 413-322-5645


Homeowners Oil Spill Cleanup Guide


Additional Web Resources Everything you need to know! Includes information on both recycling and hazardous waste.

The City of Holyoke partners with United Water to provide complete water cycle solutions. United Water provides sustainable solutions for essential environmental services including wastewater collection system repair and maintenance.


In many places throughout the city, the sewer system still carries both sewage and stormwater. Many improvements are being made to separate these two different waste flows, but when it rains, the addition of stormwater to sewage flow in the system continues to overwhelm the capacities of wastewater treatment facilities. This causes polluting overflows into receiving water bodies such as the Connecticut River.



Q: Whom should I contact if I have a question on my sewer bill?

A: If you think your sewer bill may be incorrect, the first step you should take is to call the Department of Public Works office at 322-5645.

Q: I’m selling / buying a house in Holyoke, what should I do for my sewer bill?

A: The current owner’s attorney needs to call the Holyoke Water Works at 536-0442 a few days in advance of the closing to set up a “final water reading”. After the final reading is received, your attorney should call the Department of Public Works at 322-5645 with the proper water gallon usage. With this information, the DPW can process your final sewer bill to be paid at the closing. In addition, your attorney should have the buyer / new owner’s name available.



Q: The catch basin or storm drain near my home is clogged (or caving in). What should I do?

A: Call Suez at 534-2222 and let them know where the catch basin is located. It will be scheduled to be cleaned (or repaired) as quickly as possible.

Q: My sewer line is backing up into my house/cellar, who do I call?

A: Call Suez at 534-2222. A crew will be dispatched as soon as possible. The owner of the home must be home to allow the crews in to work and to sign a service agreement. There is a fee for this service. The fee is $20.00 per hour during business hours (7:00 am to 3:00 pm) and $20.00 for each additional hour. Nights, weekends and holidays the fee is $75 up to four hours.


Stormwater Pollution Prevention and Outreach Education

  1. Stormwater Regulations May 17, 2010
  2. Stormwater Ordinance
  3. Fact Sheet_CSO
  4. Think Blue Massachusetts


Beautiful Home Landscapes that Protect Our Water

In the City of Holyoke a permit is required for street or sidewalk occupancy including: sidewalk sales, block parties, demonstrations, parades, road races, posting of signs, or for any projections onto or over a street or sidewalk. A road opening permit is required for any road excavations for sewer line or water line connections or repairs. A homeowner or the homeowner’s contractor requires a permit to construct a new driveway or to repave, resurface or modify an existing driveway. In addition, a road opening permit is required for a new driveway or for changes to an existing driveway.


Permits Required

  • Street/Sidewalk Occupancy Permit
  • Road Opening Permit
  • Driveway Permit
  • Sewer Connection Permit
  • Trench Permit
  • Stormwater Permit

NOTE: All permits can be obtained from the DPW at the Canal Street Office. You may call the Department of Public Works at 322-5645 for more information.


Permit Fees

Permits and Fee Schedule

Sanitation Sewer Entrance Fees


NOTE: Stormwater Permit Application Fees for Large and Small Developments are listed on the Petition for Stormwater Permit Application Form.


Permit Applications

Driveway Permit Application Sewer Connection Permit
Trench Permit Stormwater Permit Application


Additional Information

We hope to provide you with all the necessary information and tools to perform your work. If you have any questions along the way, please give us a call.


Contractor Information

As a Contractor working in the City of Holyoke, we hope to provide you with all the necessary information and tools to perform your work per city standards and regulations. If you have any questions along the way, please give us a call.

The City of Holyoke prepares year-round for snow and ice removal to ensure the streets will be  safe for passage as quickly as possible allowing motorists to travel safely within the City during adverse winter weather. We review and update the Storm Action Plan, prepare snow removal equipment, purchase and store adequate quantities of road salt and winter sand. Each snowstorm is unique and the snow or ice control operations change depending on the amount, type and intensity of the precipitation. Motorists should always exercise caution and drive appropriately for the road conditions


Please follow the  rules on winter parking and snow removal, and remember to help us out as the city is dependent upon its citizens for providing sidewalk snow removal per City Ordinance.  As always, thank you for being patient as our crews work long hours in tough conditions to clear roads, ease traffic and collect trash and recycling.



How will you be notified?


Storm Action Plan

The Department of Public Works has a plan in place to clear City streets in a manner that provides the most mobility to the community as allowed by available resources. The level of storm intensity and duration dictate the frequency and type of treatment. Public safety is the number one priority when clearing snow and ice from Holyoke’s Streets. The primary mission of each operation is to clear snow and ice as expeditiously and economically as possible. Our goal is to restore safe motorist and pedestrian travel and facilitate Fire and Police responses to emergencies.


Street Priority

Since not all streets can be addressed at the same time; streets are salted and plowed in a specific order. Primary routes are the first to be addressed because they link the city’s police, fire, and emergency services. Secondary routes are next, to allow safe two-way traffic. Residential streets are the last to be attended to, however, in all situations, the DPW will work to address every residential street as soon as possible and as resources allow. Closely adhering to the Winter Parking Bans is of utmost importance as on street parking is one of the biggest obstacles to snow removal during snow plowing efforts.


Based on the street priority plan if your street has not been plowed or sanded and it  is not an emergency, please be patient, as your street will be plowed and sanded as soon as possible. All main roads must be attended to before we can begin residential streets. If there is an emergency situation you can call the Department of Public Works at 322-5645. If there is a medical emergency, call 911.


Equipment Maintenance

The City of Holyoke Department of Public Works vehicle maintenance division prepares year round to handle the onslaught of winter weather that will affect more than 174 miles of roadways under its jurisdiction. Each fall, snow removal vehicles and equipment are inspected and put through an extensive maintenance check and repair program.


Winter Sand is Available

To assist in complying with City Ordinance for the removal of snow and ice from all city sidewalks, the DPW makes sand available for Holyoke Residents at Jed Days Landing.  It’s located off of Main St. behind Springdale Park.  If the sand has been depleted please call the DPW at 322-5645 and we will deliver more sand as soon as possible.

Department Head

Michael McManus

Michael McManus

General Superintendent

Office Address

63 Canal Street
Holyoke MA 01040 Map

Contact Info

Main Office


413-539-6807 (fax)

Office Hours

Monday - Friday
8:30 - 4:30 pm

Share This Page

Posted on October 23, 2013 by