DPW Board of Public Works
MEMBERS of the BOARD of PUBLIC WORKS // SEWER COMMISSION // STORMWATER AUTHORITY
David Moore, Chairman / Term expires Feb 1, 2020
Jose Garcia, Commissioner / Term expires Feb 1, 2022
Quinn Lonczak, Commissioner / Term expires Feb 1, 2021
BOARD of PUBLIC WORKS
The Board of Public Works shall have cognizance, direction, and control:
- of the construction, location, repair, care and lighting of streets, ways and sidewalks;
- of the construction, alteration, repair, and care of public buildings;
- of the construction, alteration, repair, and care of main drains or common sewers;
- of the construction, alteration, repair, care and maintenance of public bridges;
- of the care, superintendence, and management of the public grounds, except public parks, belonging to said city, and of the shade and ornamental trees growing therein.
The said board may require that no person or corporation authorized by the city council to dig up any public street or sidewalk in said city shall begin such digging before furnishing to such board of public works security satisfactory to them to restore such streets or sidewalks to their former condition. The said board of public works, except as herein otherwise provided, shall have exclusively the powers and be subject to the liabilities and penalties imposed by law upon road commissioners of towns. The general superintendent of public works under the direction of the said board of public works shall supervise all work of the public works department and shall have sole charge of carrying out the orders and policies of said board. He shall perform such other duties, not inconsistent herewith, as the city council may prescribe.
The Sewer Commission is responsible for overseeing the operation and maintenance of the Public Sewer System, the administration of the Policy of the Board of Sewer Commissioners and shall make all rules and regulations required to satisfactorily implement and enforce said policy. The rules and regulation shall include, but not be limited to the following:
- Standards for Public Sewers and Drains
- Standards for Private Sewers and Drains
- Standards for Building Sewers
- Licenses, permits, application forms, and fees
- Discharges allowed to Public Sewer
- Operation and maintenance of Facilities
The Board of Public Works acting in the capacity of the Stormwater Authority is responsible to ensure local enforcement of the Massachusetts Stormwater Management Policy issued by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection, and as amended, that coordinates the requirements prescribed by state regulations promulgated under the authority of the Massachusetts Wetland Protection Act G.L. c. 131, §40 and Massachusetts Clean Waters Act G.L. c. 21, §§23-56. The Policy addresses stormwater impacts through the implementation of performance standards to reduce or prevent pollutants from reaching water bodies and to control the quantity of runoff from a site.
POLICY / REGULATIONS / ORDINANCE
- Sewer Commissioners Policy (Link)
- Stormwater Regulations (Link)
- Stormwater Ordinance (Link)
The Board of Public Works / Sewer Commission / Stormwater Authority Meeting Schedules are listed on the City Public Meetings and Hearings Calendar. Meetings are held in the Department of Public Works Conference Room, 63 Canal Street, Holyoke.
Minutes of previous meetings of the Board of Public Works, Sewer Commission and Stormwater Authority are available by calling the Department of Public Works at 322-5645. Current Meeting Minutes can be accessed at the following:
- Meeting Minutes 06.17.19 (Link)