A division of the DPW under the direction of the City Engineer, the Engineering Department provides support, assistance and oversight for new development and redevelopment applicants to ensure compliance with City standards and local, state, and federal law. We also support internal customers for the operations and maintenance of city facilities and infrastructure. We also welcome public inquiries for traffic issues and other general information.
Our services include:
- New development planning and final engineering review
- Subdivision Project review and administration
- Stormwater Management and Plans review
- Construction Project Inspection
- Driveway Permit application review and approval
- Sewer Connection Permit review and approval
- Traffic Control and Street Signage
- Review, evaluate, and implement the design of traffic system improvements
- Speed and traffic volume surveys and record-keeping
- Maintenance of citywide addresses
- Maintain maps of citywide infrastructure, including sewer, and drainage systems
- Responding to public information requests
All utilities and contractors must be in good standings with the Department of Public Works / Engineering Department, which includes annual utility or contractor fees and supporting documents. Please contact us with any questions, as well as to obtain the most current version of the applicable City Standard Specifications. The following is a (Link) to the Engineering Dept Permit List that in general will be required or issued from the Department of Public Works / Engineering Department prior to the issuance of a Building Permit.
If you need to research information concerning these maps and records you can call the Department of Public Works at 322-5645.
The Engineering Department is located at the City Hall Annex, 20 Korean Veterans Plaza, Third Floor, Room 300, Holyoke MA. 01040-5078.
Office hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Since staffing is limited and staff are frequently working outside of the office, appointments are recommended. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 413-322-5605 to schedule an appointment.