Effective November 3rd, 2021, the mask mandate will transition to a mask advisory.  This will include Holyoke municipal properties such as City Hall and the Annex.

This action does not prevent local businesses or industries from enforcing their own mask requirements.

This also does not apply to the mask mandate in the Public Schools set by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE)

For the latest information about  COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) Recovery, click here to visit our dedicated page.

Click here to sign up for city emergency alerts

Sewers, Septic Systems and Waste Water

The City of Holyoke partners with Suez Holyoke to provide complete water cycle solutions. Suez Water Inc. provides sustainable solutions for essential environmental services including wastewater collection system repair and maintenance. In many places throughout the city, the sewer system still carries both sewage and stormwater. Many improvements are being made to separate these two different waste flows, but when it rains, the addition of stormwater to sewage flow in the system continues to overwhelm the capacities of wastewater treatment facilities. This causes polluting overflows into receiving water bodies such as the Connecticut River. See the Stormwater Tab for more information.

The City of Holyoke has recently updated its Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO) Long-Term Control Plan (LTCP) to provide a timetable and schedule for making further improvements to the City’s combined sewer and reduce overflows to the Connecticut River. A copy of the Holyoke CSO LTCP Update Rpt-Phases 1 & 2 Draft 12-30-19 submitted to the EPA and MassDEP for review and approval can be requested through the Engineering Department. The Holyoke LTCP Executive Summary can be accessed at the following. (Link)

Septic systems are individual wastewater treatment systems, usually for individual homes. They are typically used in rural or lot settings where central wastewater treatment is not efficient. Septic System maintenance is the Homeowner's sole responsibility.

Sewer Commissioners Policy (Link)

Sewer Bills Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Whom should I contact if I have a question on my sewer bill?

A: If you think your sewer bill may be incorrect, the first step you should take is to call the Department of Public Works office at 322-5645.

Q: I’m selling/buying a house in Holyoke, what should I do for my sewer bill?

A: The current owner’s attorney needs to call the Holyoke Water Works at 536-0442 a few days in advance of the closing to set up a “final water reading”. After the final reading is received, your attorney should call the Department of Public Works at 322-5645 with the proper water gallon usage. With this information, the DPW can process your final sewer bill to be paid at the closing. In addition, your attorney should have the buyer / new owner’s name available.

Sewers & Drains Frequently Asked Questions

 Q: The catch basin or storm drain near my home is clogged (or caving in). What should I do?

A: Call Suez at 534-2222 and let them know where the catch basin is located. It will be scheduled to be cleaned (or repaired) as quickly as possible.

Q: My sewer line is backing up into my house/cellar, who do I call?

A: Call Suez at 534-2222. A crew will be dispatched as soon as possible. The owner of the home must be home to allow the crews into work and to sign a service agreement. There is a fee for this service. The fee is $20.00 per hour during business hours (7:00 am to 3:00 pm) and $20.00 for each additional hour. Nights, weekends and holidays the fee is $75 up to four hours.

Septic Systems Information

Septic Systems Press Release (Link)

Maintaining Your Septic System (Link)

Massachusetts Guide to Caring for your Septic System (Link)


Close window