City Council

The City Council is the legislature of the Holyoke City government.

With a composition of 15 members, seven represent the residential wards of the City, while the remaining eight are elected at-large. The Council has a mandate to insure that Holyoke is run in an effective and efficient manner. The council holds hearings, passes ordinances, financial orders and resolutions and oversees city finances.Council meetings operate under the standing Council Rules. Councilors also respond to resident complaints and problems. Members serve on standing committees, which study and review these matters.


The City Council's major duties include:

  • Approving laws
  • Appointing the tax collector; assessors and certain other municipal officers; Confirming Mayoral appointments.
  • Reviewing and approving the annual municipal budget
  • Rules and orders of the City Council


Interested in getting involved?

All council meetings are open to the public and your attendance is welcomed.  The City Council generally meets the first and third Tuesdays of each month in the City Council Chambers located at City Hall.

The Agendas for City Council meetings are posted two business days before the relevant meeting. Past agendas are also available either online or at the City Clerk's office.

 Meeting Minutes are kept in the City Clerk's office and are open for public inspection.

Download Orders referred to the various sub-committees for the City Council

 To request a handicap parking space, an applicant must fill out a handicap parking application. This application must be submitted to the applicant's ward Councilor or to a Councilor elected at large so that an order can be filed and the application can be processed. To find out who your ward Councilor is please call the Clerk's office at (413) 322-5525 or the Administrative Assistant to the City Council office at (413) 322-5525. Please note that Councilor's addresses and phone numbers are available on the City website.  To get a printable handicap application please click the link below.

Handicap parking application

 Para solicitar una plaza de aparcamiento para discapacitados, el solicitante debe llenar una solicitud de estacionamiento para discapacitados. Esta solicitud deberá presentarse a la sala Consejero del solicitante o de un Consejero electo en general a fin de que una orden puede ser presentada y la aplicación pueda ser procesada. Para saber quién es su Consejero pupilo es por favor llame a la oficina del Secretario en el (413) 322-5525 o al auxiliar administrativo a la oficina del Consejo Municipal al (413) 322 a 5525. Tenga en cuenta que las direcciones de concejal y números de teléfono están disponibles en el sitio web de la Ciudad. Para obtener una solicitud de discapacidad imprimible por favor haga clic en el enlace de abajo.

Handicap parking application

Ryan Allen - Administrative Assistant to the Council
Ryan Allen - Administrative Assistant to the Council


No posts found.

Committee Chair  Vice-Chair Member Member Member
Ordinance Lisi  Alexander  Vacon Bartley Chateauneuf
Finance T  Mcgee Vacon Tallman  Leahy Jourdain
Public Safety Vacon Leahy Bresnahan Chateauneuf Greaney
Public Service   Bresnahan Tallman McGiverin Valentin Soto
Redevelopment  Bartley Mcgiverin Alexander Lebron-Martinez Valentin
Charter And Rules Alexander Jourdain  Bresnahan  T Mcgee  Soto
Joint CmteSchool/Cc Lebron-Martinez Chateauneuf Greaney    
Cable Tv Comm.   Jourdain        

Office Address

City Hall
536 Dwight Street
Holyoke, MA 01040 Map

Contact Info

Connect With Your Councilors


Share This Page

Posted on February 15, 2014 by