City Clerk

The City Clerk Office serves as a document and information resource to the Council, all City departments, and the citizens of our city. The City Clerk is elected every four years and is responsible for the due, proper and faithful performance of all operational matters of City Council.

As the official keeper of municipal records, the Clerk oversees various certificates and licenses, such as birth, death, or marriage. Businesses may register newly formed sole proprietorships and partnerships and renew previously granted licenses.  Also, dog licenses are obtained here.

In Holyoke, the position of City Clerk has three additional duties; Clerk of the Council,  Elections, and the Registrar of Voters.

As Clerk to the City Council, the clerk keeps  records and recordings of all City Council meetings, prepares the agenda, and records all votes and roll call as well as performs special duties.

  1. The City Council meets every first and third Tuesday of the month at 7:00 pm.
  2. The agendas for City Council Meetings may be obtained via our on-line calendar or through the City Clerk's Office on the Friday before the meeting.
  3. The minutes of the City Council meetings may be obtained through the City Clerk's Office 10 days after approval by City Council and in order for the Mayor to sign the orders.
  4. Records of Legislation are kept in the City Clerk's Office.


Kelly Lundgren - 2nd Assistant City Clerk

(413) 322-5520

Irma Cruz - Assistant City Clerk

(413) 322-5520

Federico "Polo" Delgado - Principal Clerk


Patricia Tenney - Head Clerk

(413) 322-5520

No posts found.

Are you looking for a copy of your birth certificate, marriage license or a death record? The City Clerk’s Office is the place to go. 

 The City Clerk records and preserves original birth, marriage and death records for the City of Holyoke, providing the basis for the Commonwealth’s Central Vital Registration System.  

We now offer two options for ordering a copy of your vital record.



If you would like to order a birth, death or marriage record, please click on the links below and fill out the form and payment area.


Birth Certificate –

Death Certificate-

Marriage Certificate-




If you need to request a birth, marriage or death record, please download the appropriate form or submit a request in writing to the office, do not request this via email.  The address is City Clerk, 536 Dwight St., Holyoke, MA  01040.


Birth Certificate Request Form

Marriage Certificate Application

Death Record Request Form

Instructions for requests:

The fee for birth, marriage and death records is $10.00. Download and fill out the form listed above, or submit a letter with your name (including birth name), date of birth and photocopy of your driver’s license or state issued id and the certificate will be mailed to you. Please note: we only accept checks over $25.

The City Clerk is responsible for providing licensing for:



All persons who wish to be married in Massachusetts must have a marriage license issued within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The couple must apply in person at City Hall. There is a (3) three day waiting period to receive your license.



Licensing is required to be filed for anyone for the purchase, sale or barter of junk, old metals, or second-hand articles.

Download the Junk Dealer’s License Application


Secondhand Goods

Should your business be as a holder/seller/dealer of precious and second-hand articles, a valid license must be on-site. Application must be made through the Town Clerk’s office

Download the Secondhand License Application



Licensing is required for theatrical exhibitions, public shows, public amusements and exhibitions of every description, to be held upon weekdays only. Sunday events require a special license from the DPW.

Download Exhibition License Application

Please use the following application for all Special Permits.

 Special Permit Application-City Council


 Important Documents:

Special Permit Ordinance 4.3 Table of Principal Uses
5.2 Table of Dimensional Regulations Table of Off-Street Parking Standards


The Holyoke City Council approves the following Special Permits:


4.4.3 Dwelling units in acessory structures 4.7.3 Nonconforming structures, other than single-and two-family structures
4.4.9 Acessory to scientific research 4.7.5 Nonconforming single-and two-family structures
4.7.2 Nonconforming uses 4.8.2 By special permit Home Occupation



5.3.1 Height limitation


GENERAL REGULATIONS: Special permit for a driveway in a front yard



7.1.1 Hospital Height 7.2.13 Outdoor sales lots for new and used motor vehicles and turcks, and marine and recreational vehicles
7.2.1 Motor vehicle service station   7.2.13(a) Motor vehicle repair garage
7.2.2 Bulk fuel, oil, gas, coal storage or distribution operation 7.2.13(b) Motor vehicle body repair or paint shop
7.2.3 Advertising blimps  7.2.14 Refuse transfer station 
7.2.4 Financial institutions in industrial park districts   7.3 Removal of earth materials
7.2.5 Flea market   7.4.1 Conversion of two family dwelling into a three family
7.2.6 Boarding houses   7.7.2 Retirement Communities
7.2.7 Bed and breakfast    
7.2.8 Adult entertainment    
7.2.9 Third dwelling unit in an existing  
7.2.11 Motor car race tracks, speedways; horse and dog race tracks  
7.2.12 Temporary storage units    



7.8.4 Wireless Telecommunication facilities and antennas   7.8.9 Alterations to Wireless Telecommunications Facilities
7.8.5 Antenna on an existing wireless telecommunications 7.9. Solar Facilities 



7.10.Medical Marijuana Facilities
8.4 Professional Office Overlay District (POOD)
8.1.2 Floodplain overlay district   8.7.4 Arts and Industry Overlay District Motor vehicle light service shopping center Ordinance  8.8.3 Nonconforming Downtown Residential District Motor vehicle light service shopping center    8.8.5 Dimensional Variation  

Zone Change:

Zone Change Application



As of Right Home Occupation Application

4.8.1 As of Right Home Occupation Ordinance

Genealogy is the number one hobby in America. Birth, death, and marriage certificates are often the first step in researching the family tree. For many American families who have ancestors who once lived in, or passed through Holyoke, the Archives is a mandatory stop on the research trail.


City Hall welcomes family members and relatives to research their archives!


Please feel free to stop in  Tuesday – Thursday from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm and from 2:00 – 4:00 pm.

Permit/ License


Auction Permit

$15.00 Residential/ $10.00 Nonresidential

Bowling Alley

$10.00 per alley yearly

Flea Market


Home Occupation As of Right Permit

$100.00 Annually, $40.00 Business License

Junk Sales license

$50.00 Annually

Junk Collector’s License

$50.00 Annually

Livery License

$130.00 Annually

Pawnbrokers License

$50.00 Annually


$10.00 per table annually

Second Hand License

$50.00 Annually

Service (Gas) and Self-service Station


Taxi Cab Permits

$130.00 per year per cab

Zoning Change

$100.00 if granted.


Special Permits


Advertising Blimps

$100.00 permit

Adult Entertainment

$100.00 permit

Auto Repair/Auto Body Shop

$100.00 permit

Banking, financial institutions in IP

$100.00 permit

Bed & Breakfast

$100.00 permit

Boarding House

$100.00 permit

Bulk Fuel/oil/gas/ etc Storage or Distribution

$100.00 permit

Car Wash

$100.00 permit


$100.00 permit

Commercial Storage Containers

$100.00 permit

Drive Thru

$100.00 permit

Dwelling Units in Accessory Structures

$100.00 permit

Excavation-Earth Removal

$100.00 permit

Fast food restaurant in BL, BG, and IG

$100.00 permit

Funeral Home

$100.00 permit

Home Occupation

$100.00 permit


$100.00 permit

Motor Car Speedway, Race Track

$100.00 permit

Motor Vehicles, Boats, Trailer Sales

$100.00 permit

Outdoor Golf Driving Range

$100.00 permit

Planned Unit Development

$100.00 permit

Refuse Transfer Station

$100.00 permit

Retirement/Assisted Living

$100.00 permit

Sale of Motor Vehicles (all classes)

$100.00 permit

Wireless Communication

$200.00 Existing/ $500.00 New

The City Clerk also serves as the Registrar of Voters.

Please visit their page for information about special dates, absentee information, and more.






Tuesday, September 4, 2018- State Primary

Wednesday, August 15, 2018-Last day to register to vote in the State Primary


Tuesday, November 6, 2018- State Election

Wednesday, October 17, 2018- Last day to register to vote in the State Election


*Early Voting will take place during this year’s state election.  Details, dates and times will be available soon!



 Past election results:

Municipal Election Official Results 11.7.17

Official Results Preliminary Election 9.26.17

State Election-Presidential-11-8-16 Official

State Primary Official Results 9.8.2016

Presidential Primary Official Results 3.1.2016

Official Results 11.3.15

Preliminary Official Results 9.22.15

Official Results- State Election November 4, 2014

State Primary Election Results 2014


Register to vote online!

Not sure where you vote?  Click here:






The Municipal Code is a published compilation of City laws and their revisions organized according to subject matter (arranged by title, chapter and section). The Municipal Code is updated periodically as new ordinances are adopted by the City Council. 


The City of Holyoke Ordinances are available for online viewing at Municode.

Please note: Several ordinances that have been approved by the City Council may not be included in this format. Additionally, some City Codes may have changed since the most recent update. These publications are made available for informational purposes only, and no action should be taken without first consulting with city officials. Also, any publication on the Municipal Code Corporation website may vary in format and in pagination from the code currently in use by the City of Holyoke. 


In an effort to provide more up to date information we will be posting current ordinances as they are approved by City Council and approved by the Mayor. This page reflects the time period beginning January 1, 2017.


Adopted on August 1, 2017  
926 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 86-106 Permit Parking)  
927 amendment to Chapter 86 ( Section 86-321 Parking)  
928 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 86-321 Parking)  
929 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 86-321 Parking)  
930 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 86-321 Parking)  
931 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 86-321 Parking)  
137 amendment to Appendix A (Section 6 General Regulations)   
Adopted on September 5, 2017  
932 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 86-333 Speed Humps)   
Adopted on September 20, 2017  
11 amendment to Chapter 74 (Section 74-141 Donation Drop Box)  
152 amendment to Chapter 2 (City Solicitor)  
Adopted on October 17, 2017  
933 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 86-321 Traffic and Vehicles)   
934 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 86-321 Traffic and Vehicles)   
935 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 86-321 Traffic and Vehicles)   
936 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 86-10 Penalties of Traffic and Vehicles)   
Adopted on November 21, 2017  
136th amendment to Appendix A (Section 6 General Regulations)  
939 amendment to Chapter 86 (Permit Parking)  
Adopted on December 5, 2017  
941 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 86-321 Traffic and Vehicles)   
942 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 86-321 Traffic and Vehicles)   
943 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 86-331 Traffic and Vehicles)   
944 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 86-321 Traffic and Vehicles)   
945 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 86-321 Traffic and Vehicles)  
946 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 86-321 Traffic and Vehicles)  
947 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 86-321 Traffic and Vehicles)  
MGL Chapter 32 Section 20A Indemnification of Members of Municipal Retirement Boards  
Adopted on December 19, 2018  
1st amendment to Chapter 26 (Section 26-1 Emergency Notification System)  
940 amendment to Chapter 86 (Section 1 Authority and Duties of Police)  
153 amendment to Chapter 2 (Section 1 Officers and Employess Generally)  
135 amendment to Appendix A (Section 1 Zoning)  
MGL Chapter 60 Section 3F Taxpayers to Voluntarily Designate Money to Veterans  
Adopted on February 6, 2018




According to the Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 55 – Campaign and Finance Reports; Campaign Finance Reports for the Mayor and City Councilors (both At-Large and District) are  filed with the City Clerk’s Office.

Resources and links:

OCPF Special Edition Campaign Finance Law Changes

Office of Campaign and Political Finance 

Blank forms for your reports are available for download 

For answers to frequently asked questions, see How Do I…?


Campaign Finance Reports 


Year End Campaign Finance Reports were due January 20, 2017!


*Mayoral Candidates now are required to file with the Office of Campaign and Political Finance.  Mayoral Candidate reports can be found on the website at


Year End 2017

8th Day Preceding Election 2017

8th Day Preceding Preliminary 2017

Year End 2016

8th Day Preceding Election 2016

Year End 2015

8th Day Preceding Election

Year End 2014

Year End 2013


Licensing helps prevent against rabies outbreaks by requiring a certificate of vaccination for all dogs. Licensing your pet increases the chance that you will be reunited with your pet in the unfortunate event he or she is lost.



You can now license your dog online!  Click the link below and follow the instructions.  We will mail your license to you within 24 hours.


Download the Dog License Application

Pet Waste Survey Flyer January 2017

Making a request for Public Records

The Massachusetts Public Records Law (Law), found under Chapter 66, Section 10 of the Massachusetts General Laws, applies to records made or received by a Massachusetts governmental entity. Unless the requested records fall under an exemption to the Law, the responsive documents must be made available to the requester. A list of exemptions may be found under Chapter 4, Section 7(26) of the Massachusetts General Laws.


On June 3, 2016, Governor Baker signed An Act to Improve Public Records into law. Provisions in the new law will take effect on January 1, 2017.


Under the new provisions, agencies and municipalities are required to designate 1 or more Records Access Officer (RAO). The RAO has a duty to:
  • Coordinate the agency’s or municipality’s response to requests for access to public records;
  • Assist individuals seeking public records in identifying the records requested;
  • Assist the custodian of records in preserving public records; and
  • Prepare guidelines that enable requestors to make informed requests.


Pursuant to the Public Records Law, the following person has been designated as the Records Access Officer (RAO) for the City of Holyoke.  All public records requests should be directed to this person using the contact information below.  Public records requests may be made in-person, via telephone, mail, or electronic mail.


Brenna Murphy McGee, Primary RAO
City Clerk
536 Dwight Street, Holyoke MA


Making a Public Records Request

Public Records Request Form (pdf)

Public Records Request (Google Form)





Electronic Records
As of January 1, 2017, the Records Access Officer (RAO) must provide public records to a requestor in an electronic format unless the record is not available in an electronic format or the requestor does not have the ability to receive or access the records in a useable electronic format.

Additionally, as of January 1, 2017, agency RAOs will be required to provide on a searchable website electronic copies of commonly requested records, including: final opinions, annual reports, minutes of open meetings and agency budgets. Municipal RAOs will also be required to post commonly requested records on their municipal websites, to the extent feasible.


Response Time
Beginning January 1, 2017, a RAO must permit inspection or furnish a copy of a requested public record within 10 business days following receipt of the request. RAOs may petition the Supervisor of Records for an extension if they are unable to grant access to the requested public records in this time period.

While requests for records may be made verbally, in person, it is preferable to make the request in writing to reduce confusion. A copy of the written request is required to file an appeal with the Supervisor of Records.


The Supervisor of Records’ Public Access Regulations allowing records custodians to charge 5 cents for black and white paper copies or computer printouts of public records for both single and double-sided sheets was codified and will remain effective with the new law.


Beginning January 1, 2017, if a response to a public records request requires more than 2 hours of employee time, a municipal RAO may assess a fee of the hourly rate of the lowest paid employee with the skills necessary to search for, compile, segregate, redact or reproduce a requested record. However, the fee shall not exceed $25 an hour, unless approved by the Supervisor of Records. Municipalities with populations of 20,000 people or fewer will be permitted to charge for the first 2 hours of employee time.


Administrative Appeals
As of January 1, 2017, if an agency or municipality fails to comply with a requirement of the new law, the requestor may file an appeal with the Supervisor of Records who will then issue a determination on the public status of the records within 10 business days of receipt of the request for an appeal.


Attorney Fees
Under the new Public Records Law, if a requestor prevails in a court action against an agency or municipal RAO, the court may award the requestor attorney fees or costs. 


If you do not receive a satisfactory response you may appeal to the Supervisor of Records. See Appealing a Denial of Access to Public Records in Massachusetts click on the link below for more information:




Department Head

Brenna Murphy McGee, CMC

Brenna Murphy McGee, CMC

City Clerk/Registrar of Voters/ Records Access Officer

Office Address

City Hall
536 Dwight Street
Room 2
Holyoke,MA 01040 Map

Contact Info

Main Office

(413) 322-5520

Office Hours

Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Share This Page

Posted on December 11, 2012 by