Effective January 6, 2022, there will be a mask mandate for all public indoor spaces within the City of Holyoke.

For the latest information about  COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) Recovery, click here to visit our dedicated page.

Click here to sign up for city emergency alerts

***Due to transmission issues, this evening\'s (1-18-22) City Council meeting is unlikely to be broadcast on Channel 15 as it normally would be. The meeting will remain available in person, on the website live stream, and on Zoom
A recording will also be available this week, as always. We apologize for the unanticipated issue, and any inconvenience caused by it.***
building banner



City Hall Annex
Room 300
20 Korean Veterans Plaza
Monday - Friday:
7:30 am - 9:30 am
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm

*See Important Notice for hours


City Hall is open to the public from 8:30-12:00 and 12:30-4:30. The Building Department is open at 7:30AM. Although in-person is now available, we strongly encourage applications be submitted electronically or by using the drop box located outside City Hall on the parking deck.

  1. Please mail all applications to the Building Department 20 Korean Veterans Plaza Room 300, Holyoke, MA 01040. The application must be submitted in PDF format (no paper) along with the payment. Submit either a CD/DVD or thumb drive (preferred) along with a paper by check or money order. Please double check that all documents are on the thumb drive and can be opened. Alternatively you may email all of your documents to delgadof@holyoke.org OR hoganm@holyoke.org in PDF format.(Please do not email both clerks with the same information) If you choose email you must submit a payment via mail with a note that includes the address, type of permit you applied for, and the date you applied for the permit. We will review the application, however, we must hold the permit until the payment has been collected.
  2. All applications we receive will be processed in our system and handled strictly through email from there so it is important that you include everyone's email  at the time of application. This includes the owner, contractor, architect, engineers, applicant, manager, if applicable.
  3. To request an inspection please email the individual inspector you are working with. If you have a building permit and are not sure who to email, please email delgadof@holyoke.org to be routed to an building official.
  4. FAQ's can be found here


*please note that applications that are submitted by mail will take a full week to reach our office due to delays outside our our control. At about 7 days we will have them processed into our system and the status can be checked online as noted below.

The Building Department is committed to improving the quality of life for the people of Holyoke by advancing public health and safety through effective building code enforcement.

The Building Department is charged with enforcing the State Building Code, Plumbing and Gas Code, Electrical Code, the Architectural Access Code, Zoning Ordinances, Floodplain and conditions attached to Special Permits.  It responds to citizen complaints about the safety, accessibility and security of construction to their homes and businesses. It issues permits for building, wiring, plumbing, gas, sheet metal,  zoning, and floodplain development.

The Building Department performs plan reviews, on-site inspections of all new construction, alterations, and repairs.  The Department also oversees change of use and occupancy, demolitions and zoning violations.


Want to find out the status of any permit?

Visit  http://www.citysquared.com/#/app/map/HolyokeCityMA to view applications, permits, download documents, and find contact information.

Want information about permits, correspondence and violations on a specific property?

Please submit a public records request - Please email the form to beyers@holyoke.org

Need Property Zoning Information?

Holyoke's on-line Property Records viewing system provides information including zoning.

Do I need a license? (HIC and/or CSL)?

Home Improvement Contractor and Construction Supervisor Checklist by Project


Buildings must remain accessible to the Building Department when an inspection is called for. It is the responsibility of the contractor, not the Building Department, to have the building open. We are here to help, please call us if you have any questions.

To file a building or zoning related complaint go here:

See Click Fix

File a Complaint with the Building Department


Close window