War Memorial Building
Welcome to The War, or Soldiers, Memorial Building was constructed in 1936 under the auspices of the city and the Public Works Administration (PWA) as a memorial to the "great war" now known as World War One. Its chief interior features are a large auditorium and three meeting rooms, plus several small offices. The Appleton street facade is inscribed: "1917-1918, War Memorial. The Veterans of the World War One share this memorial tribute with American Veterans of all times." Just as the smaller war memorial in Hampden Park reflected the tastes of the post-Civil War generation so did this building reflect the nationwide trend of erecting monumental structures in honor of the veterans of World War One.