In accordance with Massachusetts General Law Chapter 33 Section 67A, the Medal of Liberty is awarded to the next of kin of servicemen and women from the commonwealth killed in action or who died in service while in a designated combat area in the line of duty or who died as a result of wounds received in action. The Adjutant General and 2 field grade officers of the military forces of the commonwealth detailed by the commander-in-chief constitutes the commission to make recommendations to the commander-in-chief for the awarding of the Medal of Liberty.
- In any action against an enemy of the United States.
- In any action with an opposing armed force of a foreign country in which the Armed Forces of the United States are or have been en
- While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force, in which the United States is not a belligerent party.
- As a result of an action of any such enemy of opposing g armed forces.
- As the result of an act of any hostile
- While in a designated combat area in the line of duty or who died as a result of wounds received in action.
- After 28 March 1973, as a result of an international terrorist attack against the United States of a foreign nation friendly to the United St
- After 28 March 1973, as a result of military operations, while service outside the territory of the United States as part of a peacekeeping or humanitarian for
- After 6 December 1941, by weapon fire while directly engaged in armed conflict, regardless of the weapon causing the wound.
- While held as a prisoner of war or while being taken captive.
How to Apply:
- Complete part I and 11 of TAGMA Form 3367. Also enclose any documentation you feel will be helpful in the application
- Mail to:
Office of the Adjutant General Attention: Medal of Liberty
2 Randolph Road – Bldg. 1505 Hanscom AFB, MA 01731-3001
Surviving family members requesting the Medal of Liberty must apply for the award through the Office of the Adjutant General, 2 Randolph Road, Hanscom Air Force Base, MA 01731. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts War Records Section in the Office of the Adjutant General is responsible for validation requests.
Following a review and validation of records, those next of kin of Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force, Coast Guard, and the United States Merchant Marine so qualified are awarded the Massachusetts Medal of Liberty by the Office of the Adjutant General, Massachusetts National Guard.
Please allow three (3) months for the Medal of Liberty application to be processed.
Medal of Liberty Degrees of Kinship
IN KEEPING WITH MILITARY PROTOCOL, THE MASSACHUSETTS MILITARY DIVISION WILL PRESENT ONE (1) MEDAL OF LIBERTY TO QUALIFYING FAMILIES.
The order of precedence for the Medal of Liberty shall be:
- Surviving spouse
- Surviving children by seniority
- Surviving parent(s)
- Surviving siblings
- Surviving nieces or nephews
- Thereafter surviving kin in accordance with prevailing Massachusetts
Where two or more persons apply for the Medal of Liberty, the medal shall be presented to the person senior in the above order of precedence.
The Massachusetts Medal of Liberty Commission is a public body subject to the Massachusetts Open Meeting Law. Medal of Liberty Commission meetings are held three (3) times per year in February, June, and September Notice of scheduled meetings of a Massachusetts Medal of Liberty commission can be found at https://www.massnationalguard.org/announcements