Parks & Recreation Commission Meeting Text Size
Parks & Recreation Commission Meeting
June 27, 2018 – 6:15 PM
Parks & Recreation Main Office
- Call to Order
- Acceptance of minutes from the April 26, 2018 Commission Meeting
- Correspondence Received:
- Alex Morse, Mayor, correspondence sent to the City Council requesting the appointment of Mr. Israel Rivera as a Parks & Recreation Commissioner. Pending approval, Mr. Rivera would replace Commissioner Terence Murphy. The three-year term would expire in June 2021.
- Alicia Zoeller, Administrator, Office of Community Development FY 2019 Awards. Valley Arena Park, $150,000
Dean Tech Scoreboard Installation $15,000
- Alicia Zoeller, May 25, 2018 – The following activities will be funded with prior year CDBG Funds
Springdale Park Phase I Design $50,000
Springdale Park Baseball Field Improvements $16,500
Office of City Clerk, Brenna McGee – Ordinance Committee will be holding a public hearing to review a zone change application, submitted by Walter Sykulski, Jr. for the properties located on Russell Terrace and South Street. City Hall Annex, June 12, 2018
- Office of Planning & Economic Development – Public Hearing Notice: Special Permit to Exceed Fence Height, submitted by Javier Gonzales for JGL Truck Sales, 6430 South Bridge Street. Tuesday, June 12, 2018, City Hall Annex
- Office of Planning & Economic Development – Public Hearing Notice: Holyoke Zoning Ordinance, a Site Plan Review for the properties located at 87 Farnum Drive. May 22,2018, City Hall Annex.
- Department of Environmental Protection. Correspondence dated June 7, 2018 regarding Valley Arena Park at 560 South Bridge Street RTN1-20559, the Asbestos Release was received.
- Office of Planning & Development: Special permit to exceed Fence Height in a Front Yard, 640 South Bridge Street.
- Office of Planning & Economic Development: A Public Hearing will be held on July 10, 2018 for a Special Permit for an increase in sign size for Blessed Sacrament Parish.
- Office of Planning & Economic Development:
Notice of Decision Site Plan Review Modification, Holyoke Farms, Case #112-A – Approved With Conditions
- City Council Orders Received:
Introduced by Councilors, David K. Bartley, James Leahy, Peter Tallman, Linda Vacon and Diosdado Lopez
Ordered, that an Ordinance be created or current ordinances be amended to address the placement of memorials, dedications, naming rights and related matters on public property in the City of Holyoke.
In City Council, August 1, 2017. Received and referred to the Ordinance Committee. In City Council on June 19, 2018, the report of Committee received and the Ordinance passed its first reading.
The Ordinance passed on its second reading.
The Ordinance was passed to be enrolled.
The Committee has considered the same and find that it is truly and properly enrolled.
Report of Enrollment was received.
The Ordinance was passed to be Ordained and Adopted on a call of the roll of the yeas and nays. Yeas 12 Nays 0 Abesent 1 (Anderson-Burgos)
- Pioneer Valley Blue Sox
Finalize contract for 2018 Season
- Community Preservation Committee Update
- Budget Status for Fiscal Year 2019
City Council Budget Hearing was held on Thursday, June 21, 2018
- New Business
- Status of Fiscal Year 2019 PARC Grant Application for the demolition and reconstruction of Pouliot Pool.
- At the request of the Cultural Committee, the Parks & Recreation Commission will have a discussion regarding their interest in extending an agreement with Peter Dellert for the temporary art installation on the Parks Department parcel located at the corner of Northampton & Lincoln Streets.
- Volunteer Community Field Dog Park Cleanup on 6/23/18
- A coordinator for the “Friends of the Dog Park” at Community Field has been hired. Pending submission of the necessary paperwork, Ms. Danielle Pikul will start work in July.
- Dean Technical High School 60’ – Discussion regarding proposed improvements
- McNulty Park will host a press conference with Mayor Alex B. Morse on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 to announce the Community Development Fiscal Year 2019 allotments.
- Old Business
- Review and approval of final re-design of Valley Arena Park as submitted by Berkshire Design
- Parks & Recreation Facility Update- Department of Public Works
- Pouliot Pool – PARC Grant Update
- Tennis Courts Reconstruction-Update
- Mackenzie Field Restrooms & Concession Building
- Ely Basketball Court Update
- Pulaski Park – Adult Fitness Center
- Recreation Report
- A Red Cross Lifeguard Training Course was completed at the Holyoke Boys & Girls Club, on Sunday June 10th & 17th.
- A Red Cross CPR Course was administered to 10 part-time seasonal employees on Monday, June 18th, at the War Memorial Building.
A Red Cross 1st Aid Course will be offered to part-time seasonal employees on Monday, July 2nd at the War Memorial Building
- Fireworks update – Friday June 29th Rain date of 6/30/18
- The Swim/Gym Program: Monday – Friday, July 2nd – August 17th.
The Swimming Program Schedule at Holyoke High School Pool is as follows:
8:00 – 9:00 Senior Swim
12:00 – 1:00 Camp Swim (Basketball Camps & Field Hockey Camps)
1:00 – 5:00 Open Swim
- The Open Gym Program will take place at Dean this summer, Monday – Fridays from 12:00 – 4:00
- Basketball Summer Program – Holyoke High School
June 25th – June 9th & Week #2 July 9th – July 13th
- Field Hockey Program at Roberts Field, July 16th – July 20th
- Activity Leaders will work at Community Field, Carlos Vega, Pulaski and Springdale Parks beginning on Monday, July 2, 2018. The program will run between the hours of 11:00 am – 3:00 pm.
- New Hires/Seasonal, Part-Time Staff
Alex Tejada, Maintenance, Lydia Marion, Program Specialist
Danielle Pikul, Community Field, Program Specialist
Lifeguards: Amas Haider, Kenneth Heisler, Nicholas Robert, Johnathan Riopelli, Carmen Santiago, Rachael Roque and Kellen Powers
- Other Business
- Next Meeting Date
Posted on June 25, 2018 by Mayor's Admin