Whiting Reservoir Study Committee 2-2-21
5:00 pm Remote by Zoom
Notice of Committee Meeting
There will be a regular meeting of
The Whiting Reservoir Study Committee
*** Meeting will take place remotely and can be accessed via www.zoom.us Meeting ID:
816 5770 7159 Meeting Passcode: 994911 or by call in at 1 (646) 558-8656 with same Meeting ID and Passcode. ***
Approval of minutes of meeting on January 19, 2021
1. Report on Relationship between the Water Sept. and the City of Holyoke,
specifically to understand how decisions are made regarding property.
2. Discussion of DCR Lands surrounding WSR, Mt. Tom area and potential for
purchase/sale of development rights on WSR property – Jennifer Howard
3. Further information on MA Wetlands Protection Act and Holyoke’s vision for
protection of lands around the Reservoir – Yoni Glogower
4. Report on Wycoff Country Club – Kip Foley
5. Report on Trustees of Reservations Land – Sue Panitch
1. Discussion of question of need to hold a meeting with abutters to discuss
information they all should know regarding WSR and gather information from them
concerning their plans for future use of the areas surrounding WSR together with
how soon this meeting should be held.
2. Meeting with General Public
A. Information to be provided to the attendees
B. Specific questions WSR Committee has for the general public
C. Target date for this meeting
Minutes for Feb 2, 2021 Meeting of Whiting Street Reservoir Committee
Meeting called to order at 5:05 p.m.
Marlene acts as Chair. Minutes accepted of previous meeting
Kate Kruckmeyer, new member of WSR Committee, was introduced and welcomed. Kate informed the group that in her Planning Board experience she has become familiar with many of the issues in front of the Committee. City Attorney Barnes addressed some old business regarding the control of the reservoir property. She reported that actual authority for all HWW actions are done by the Board of Commissioners. City is not involved and has no authority, other than bonding issues. Additionally, HWW complies with directives from DEP and Chapters 40, 39-A and 39B.
Marlene led discussion regarding the role abutters would play relating to any usage they may have on their property that might affect the WSR property. Further discussion was held about inviting abutters to join us and when and how that may occur, and whether to extend an invitation to other adjacent properties, even though they are not abutters. Sue reported on her meeting with Josh Knox, head of Friends of the Reservation, concerning the 73 acres of property they control. Josh informed her that this property would only and always be interested in allowing passive recreation.
Yoni Glogower, administrator of the Conservation Commission, joined the meeting as a guest and described what conservation issues would need to be adhered to with any possible changes with the Whiting Street Reservoir, especially in or near buffer zones. The Wetland Protection Act was also reviewed with Yoni. In addition, Yoni supplied the committee with a link to the Capital Open Space and Recreation Plan.
- Visit of Jennifer from Dept of Conservation & Recreation
- Are we ready for meeting with abutters and what will format be for such a meeting?
- Letter to abutters proposed to outline City Council charge, scope, mission, and possible outcome
- Establish a set of questions to include in the letter; four questions suggested – others will be discussed at next meeting
- Letter and questions will be formalized at the next meeting
- Discussion of timeline for visits from abutters and then the general public
- Some interested members of community introduced themselves. Committee thanked them for their interest and informed them that a meeting for public comments and questions would be scheduled in the near future.
- Mr. Conti and Mr. Manzi of the HWW will be extended invitations to all remaining meetings.
The next meeting was scheduled for February 16, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Meeting adjourned at 5:50 p.m.