School Committee Text Size
Event takes place on September 03, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Fifield Community Room @ Dean Technical HS 1045 Main St. Holyoke MA
SCHOOL COMMITTEE AGENDA
DATE: TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 3, 2013
TIME: 6:15 PM
LOCATION: Fifield Community Room Dean Technical High School, 1045 Main Street
1. CALL TO ORDER ~ ROLL CALL ~ PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
- 2. PUBLIC DISCUSSION*
- 3. COMMUNICATIONS & REPORTS
- Student Reports
- Superintendent’s Communications
- Opening of the 2013-2014 School Year
- Early Literacy Initiative Update
4. NEW BUSINESS
- Minutes of Meetings
- Regular Meeting of August 20, 2013 (pages 1-9)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the minutes. .
- Introduced by Committee member Garcia, that the Communications and Policies Subcommittee review the Student Handbook policy on Disciplinary Procedures in the Classroom, particularly with regard to use of electronic devices.
- Introduced by Committee member Garcia, that Resources and Capacity Building Subcommittee review conditions and needs related to school playgrounds.
- Introduced by Committee member Sheehan, that administration provide an update on all state and federal grants, with projections based on FY 2013 actuals and implications for FY 2014 and FY 2015 applications/allocations.
- Travel Requests (pages 10-11)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the travel request.
5. OLD BUSINESS
- FY 2013 Budget Closeout Report
- GoMath Program Update
- 6. PERSONNEL
- Appointments (pages 12-13)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to receive the appointments.
- Retirements (page 14)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to receive the retirements.
- Resignations (page 15)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to receive the resignations.
- EXECUTIVE SESSION EXECUTIVE SESSION
a. To go into Executive Session to conduct collective bargaining sessions with Secretaries, and to conduct strategy session with regard to litigation (HTA / Labor Relations), [not] to return to open session.
The listing of matters are those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.
*The Holyoke Public Schools makes available a public discussion period for persons in the audience to address the Committee on specific agenda items. In order to hear as many speakers as possible, the Committee asks individuals to continue their remarks to two (2) minutes. Any person wishing to submit longer testimony should give copies to the Superintendent before the meeting so that it may be distributed to Committee members. The speaker can then summarize this testimony at the meeting within the two (2) minute time period. Persons wishing to speak should register with the Superintendent immediately before the meeting begins. Individuals who request specific items to be included on the Committee’s agenda should mail a written request fifteen (15) days in advance of a Committee meeting date to the Superintendent of Schools, 57 Suffolk Street, Holyoke, MA 01040.
Posted on August 29, 2013 by cityadmin