Public Safety Meeting Text Size
Event takes place on March 10, 2016 at 6:30 PM
Holyoke City Hall: Council Chambers
Notice of Committee Meeting
There will be a regular meeting of the Committee on
At City Hall in the Council Chamber, on Thursday March 10, at 6:30PM
Per order of the Chair: Dan Bresnahan
1: Valentin 10/16/15: Order: our current illegal dumping ordinances be reviewed to determine ways in which the City can enforce them with more success. In addition, that the possibility of installing video cameras in alley “hot spots” is explored as a way to curb illegal dumping.
2. Bartley 11/17/15: Order: The city engineer provides recommendation(s) to improve and make safer the intersection at Hitchcock and Martin Sts. The flashing light is basically ignored as motorists fly down that hill. Refer to DPW and HPD to acquire accident reports for this intersection. Have HPD send accident reports to the city engineer. Further, have the city engineer provide recommendations to better sequence the lights on Northampton St. from Beech St. to Whiting Farms Rd. to improve traffic flow.
3. Vacon 11/17/15: Order: That the intersection of Apremont Hwy and Rt. 202 be evaluated for a traffic light and if needed, that a cost to install be determined
4. Vacon 12/1/15: Order: That the traffic light at Doyle Drive and Rt 202 be changed to blinking red and yellow at the end of each class day and on days when there are no classes held at HCC. Residents are finding there are long backups during rush hour traffic when classes are no longer in session.
5. Vacon 4/21/15: Order: That County Road be evaluated for elimination of the passing zones as they encourage an increased rate of speed by drivers.
6. Valentin 6/2/15: Order: That the City Engineer evaluates what options are available to make the corner of Hampshire and Beech safer for motorists and pedestrians. Visibility is limited and the traffic at this specific intersection has significantly increased since the Senior Center has been in operation
7. Jourdain 6/2/15: Order: That the Park and Rec Commission and the DPW Superintendent come before the City Council to discuss the status of the Pouliot Pool, and the plan and costs for its repair or replacement.
8. Bartley 11/17/15: Order: Due to constituent concerns, the city engineer provides recommendation(s) to improve and make safer the intersection at South St., Maple St. and Parenteau Dr. Motorists are making left turns on the red light and crossing over into oncoming traffic. Also, have the city install better street signage at this intersection.
9. McGiverin 11/17/16: Order: that the Conservation Commission, DPW, and City Engineer, come before the City Council to discuss the potential new access road for University apartments and the wet land surrounding that potential new road.
10: Bartley 1/19/16: Order: With at least three traffic fatalities (New Year’s day at Chestnut/Hampshire Streets and Jan. 4 at Westfield Rd./Roosevelt Ave.) so far in 2016 and other close calls (Beech/Franklin St. crossing guard; and South St.) with pedestrians being struck, the city council invite the Police Chief to a future Public Safety meeting to discuss traffic enforcement and mitigation efforts used and planned by HPD.
11. Soto 11/19/13: Order: the city of Holyoke have the DPW be the sole one responsible for all police towing. This will help generate revenue, and also maintain the integrity of the professionalism where as the city can have oversight in all motor vehicle that are towed in the city.
Administrative Assistant: Ryan M. Allen
The listing of matters are those reasonable anticipated by the chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law
Posted on March 7, 2016 by allenr