Parks & Recreation Commission Meeting Text Size
Event takes place on December 14, 2017 at 6:00 PM
Parks & Recreation Office
Parks & Recreation Commission Meeting
December 14, 2017 – 6:00 PM
Parks & Recreation Main Office
1. Call to Order
2. Acceptance of minutes from October 26, 2017 Commission Meeting
3. Correspondence Received:
- Chris Erchull, Associate City Solicitors, Legal opinion regarding installation of a scoreboard on School Department Property. Received, October 19, 2017
- Development and Government Relations Committee – Public Hearing Notice. Hearing date 11/13/17 regarding Four Special Permit Applications for Wireless Service Facilities. Received, October 30, 2017
- Office of Planning & Development –Public Hearing Notice for 12/12/71 regarding Special Permit application submitted by Holyoke Housing Authority to increase the fence height (Lyman Terrace Project.
- Brian Manijak – Letter of appreciation to Mr. John Twohig & Parks/DPW employees for field maintenance performed for inaugural season of Fall Baseball at Dean Vocational High School
- Alicia Zoeller, Administrator, Office of Community Development – Notice of Availability of FFY2018 Community Development Block Grant Proposal Applications
- American Legion Post 351 – request to use parking lot at Pulaski Park for one day.
- Mayor Alex B. Morse – United Way Annual Campaign
4. City Council Orders Received:
Introduced by Councilor Todd McGee
- Ordered, that there is hereby authorized to be established and maintained for fiscal year 2018, in accordance with M.G.L. Chapter 44 Sec. 53E ½, the Roberts Field Sports Complex Revolving Fund.
1. Expenditures from the fund shall be specifically for the purposes of entertainment and recreation activities, and to support the care and maintenance of the Roberts Field Sports Complex.
2. The source of receipts to be credited to the Fund shall be donations, fees charged to users; operators, concessionaires and advertisers at the Roberts Field Sports Complex for sport, recreation and entertainment services provided to eligible recipients: sales of products held for resale.
3. The officer authorized to expend from the Fund shall be Director of the Holyoke Recreations Department.
4. The limit on the total amount which may be expended from the Fund during fiscal year 2018 or $125,000 which, when combined with all other such revolving funds authorized under M.G.L. Chapter 44 Sec. 53E ½ under the direct control of the officer designated in 3, above, does not exceed 1% of the amount raised by taxation in 2018.
In City Council 6/20/27. Approved on October 19, 2017
Introduced by Councilors Howard B. Greaney Jr., Daniel B. Bresnahan, Kevin A. Jourdain, James M. Leahy, Diosdado Lopez and Peter R. Tallman
- Ordered, Order that the Parks Debarment and DPW please move the memorial stone marker at MacKenzie Field to the main entrance at
MacKenzie Field. A second one should be made for the other entrance. The stone is now currently located outside the ball park.
In City Council, October 17, 2107.
Introduced by Councilors: David K. Bartley & James M. Leahy
- Ordered, the DPW/Parks & Rec Department considers a curb cut on the west side of Veterans Park (across Chestnut Street from Holyoke Catholic Apartments) and installs a ramp so that disabled residents can easily access the park. Also please consider adding a trash receptacle & recycling bin at the west end of the park.
In City Council, November 21, 2017.
Introduced by Councilor James M. Leahy, Todd McGee, Peter R. Tallman
- Ordered, that the City Council request the Mayor to fund the account that funds the heat for the John J. Lynch Gymnasium. This gym is used seven (7) nights a week during November, December and January for suburban girls and boys basketball.
In City Council, November 21, 2017.
5. Community Preservation Committee
Transfer of Funds (per City Auditor)
7. New Business
- Status of Lynch/gymnasium
- 2017 Unused Sick Leave Buyback
8. Old Business
- Removal of Storage Facility at Springdale Park
- Pioneer Valley Blue Sox – 2018 Permit/Contract
- Pouliot Pool Update–
- Tennis Court Reconstruction-update
- Mackenzie Field Restrooms & Concession Building
- Transfer of Memorial at Mackenzie Field, closer to home plate
- Proposed CDBG request for Fiscal Year 2018 for Springdale Park
- Status of Ordinance regarding Memorials/Veterans Park
9. Recreation Report
- Suburban Boys & Girls Basketball
- Open Gym Program at Lynch
- Annual Christmas Tree Lighting & Parade of Lights
- First Night Jr., Sponsorship
- Veterans & Bowling Program
- Pickleball Demonstrations
10. New Hires/Personnel
Next Meeting Date
Posted on December 12, 2017 by Parks Admin