Parks and Recreation Commission Meeting Text Size
Event takes place on November 01, 2016 at 5:30 PM
Parks and Recreation Office - Holyoke City Hall
Parks & Recreation Commission Meeting
November, 1 2016 – 5:30 PM
Parks & Recreation Department
1. Call to Order
2. Acceptance of Minutes from September 27, 2016 Commission Meeting
and minutes from October 26, 2016 Commission Park Tour.
3. Correspondence Received:
- Public Hearing Notice from Planning Board for 10/26/16. Special Permit application submitted by Ace Signs for increase in sign size for 1515 Northampton Street.
- Public Hearing Notice from Planning Board for 10/25/16. Special Permit application for a reduction in parking, submitted by Gonzalez Enterprises for 640 South Bridge Street.
- Public Hearing Notice from Planning Board for 10/25/16 site plan review for the construction of a 2.5 acre solar array on 150 Whiting Farms Road.
4. City Council Orders Received:
Introduced by Councilor Michael Sullivan:
Ordered, the Chair of the Parks & Rec Commission report to the City Council, at a City Council Meeting, regarding the status of employee on paid administrave leave as well as provide reason for excessive delays in providing minutes of meetings.
(Executive Session if Necessary)
In City Council, October 4, 2016. Received and adopted. Referred to the Law Department, Personnel Director and Parks & Recreation Director.
6. New Business:
Review of all Parks & Recreation’s Policies & Fees:
- Roberts Field Sports Complex &
Concession Rental Rates
- Community Field Rental Rates
- Playing Fields, Softball, Baseball, Football, Soccer, etc., permit rates for Adult & Youth
- Mackenzie Field – Rental/Permitting Rates
Review of Pioneer Valley Blue Sox possible 2017 Contract
Review of Elms College possible 2017 Contract
- Lynch Gymnasium Rates
$35.00/hr – Rental Fee
Proposed New Fees/Policies:
- $10.00 permitting fee for miscellaneous events/programs, i.e., birthday parties, speakers, etc.
- Tennis Courts, Outdoor Basketball Courts, etc. Adult & Youth Rates
- Community Development Block Grant Requests for FY 2017
7. Old Business
- Soucey Park – Review of possible improvements
$60,000 allotted from FY 2016 Community Development Block Grant
- Status Update: MacKenzie Field & Roberts Sports Complex Capital Improvements
- Update – After School Open Gym Programs. (Available Gym time from School Department)
8. Other Business
9. Program Review
- Valley Cup Field Hockey Tournament
October 15 & 16 at the Roberts Sports Field Complex
- Suburban Basketball Review – Gym space has been secured at Peck, Dean, Lawrence, Kelly and Morgan Schools. The former Lynch School will also host practice nights for the girls and boys divisions Monday – Friday Evenings.
- Open Gym – Lynch School – Beginning on Tuesday, November 1st, the gymnasium will host a drop in, after school open gym program from 3:00 – 6:00 pm, Monday – Fridays. Part-time employee, and Veteran Tax Work Off Person, Mr. Don Provost will be the program supervisor. The majority of personnel will consist of Tax Work Off Participants.
- An 8 week youth and an 8 week adult Volleyball program will also commence at Lynch Gym on the first Saturday in November.
- Rededication Ceremony at Gilligan Field, for the Bill & Eileen Kane Track
- Thursday, October 27th, a Parks & Recreation Employee represented the Department at the Fire Department’s Annual Halloween Party.
- Saturday, October 29th, fro 1:00 – 3:00, the City’s Annual Halloween took place at the Holyoke Heritage State Park Complex. This year’s theme was a “Dance Party.”
- Monday, October 31st – Trick or Treat, throughout City Hall & City Hall Annex, Sponsored by the Parks & Recreation Department.
- The City’s Annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony has been scheduled for Saturday, December 3, 2016.
10. New Hires
Kathleen Flaherty – Roberts Field Staff
Gustavo Romero – Support Staff/Artist
11. Next Meeting Date
Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Posted on October 28, 2016 by Mayor's Admin