Members of the Commission of Disabilities are Mayoral appointed with City Council confirmation. They have the following responsibilities:
- Research local problems affecting people with disabilities;
- Advice and assist municipal officials and employees in ensuring compliance with state and federal laws and regulations that affect people with disabilities;
- Coordinate and/or implement programs designed to meet the needs of people with disabilities in compliance with programs of the Massachusetts Office on Disability;
- Review and make recommendations about policies, procedures, services, activities, and facilities of departments, boards, and agencies of Holyoke as they affect people with disabilities;
- Provide information, referrals, guidance and technical assistance to individuals, public agencies, businesses and organizations in all matters pertaining to disability; and
- Coordinate activities of other local groups organized for similar purposes.
This is a wonderful opportunity for residents to serve our community. If you are interested in applying to sit on this Commission, please submit a letter of interest and a resume to the Mayor’s Office or by e-mail at email@example.com