The mission of the Office of the City Auditor is to provide accurate, timely and consistent financial accounting, budgeting and reporting by means of maintaining a current general ledger and performing periodic reconciliations of key accounts. This objective, coupled with execution of local ordinances and Massachusetts General Laws related to fiscal matters, allows the city to maintain a proper sense of its financial status.
The Office of the City Auditor is responsible for performing various tasks on a regular basis. Some of those tasks include:
- Accounting for all financial transactions in the city’s general ledger as they occur.
- Review and approval of contracts in regards to the availability of funds to pay these commitments.
- Review and approval of payrolls and vendor invoices in regards to proper general ledger accounting and availability of funds.
- Review and recording of all revenue received.
- Preparation and analysis of annual budget data for actions by the mayor and city council.
- Preparation and analysis of financial statements that are subject to independent audit and used by banks, bond rating agencies and various federal and state entities.
- Coordination of the annual independent audit of the city’s financial statements.
- Preparation and certification of various data used in the annual tax rate setting process.