City Annex


The prime mission of the Office of the City Auditor is to provide accurate, timely and consistent financial accounting, budgeting and reporting by means of maintaining a current general ledger and performing periodic reconciliations of key accounts.

Board of Health:

It is their mission to provide prevention, protection, and educational resources to ensure the highest quality of life within the City of Holyoke.  The Animal Control Officer and the Licensing Board can also be found here.


Building Department:

The Building Department responds to citizen complaints about the safety, accessibility and security of construction to their homes and businesses.  They issue permits for building, wiring, plumbing, gas, and signs.  They also perform plan reviews, on-site inspections of all new construction, alterations, and repairs. 


City Engineer:

The City Engineer provides support, assistance, and oversight for new development and redevelopment applicants to ensure compliance with City standards and local, state, and federal law.  They welcome public inquiries for traffic issues and other general information.


City Solicitor:

The Solicitor acts as the attorney for the City of Holyoke and its officials, by providing legal advise to the Mayor, City Council and various City Departments. It also represents the City in Court actions involving damage claims against the City and in other actions. The Solicitor does not provide legal advise to the residents of Holyoke.


Office of Planning and Economic Development:

The Office of Planning and Economic Development (OPED) is responsible for the growth of business developments throughout the City of Holyoke. Through this office, perspective investors can tour buildings and city properties available to purchase and rent. OPED is responsible for administering Holyoke’s Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Control Regulations. The Department also prepares special studies on planning issues, including open space, traffic circulation and housing.


Community Development:

The Office for Community Development (OCD) administers the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and the HOME Investment Partnerships Program Grant (HOME) received by the City from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).


Conservation Commission:

The City of Holyoke Conservation Commission is responsible for protecting Holyoke’s natural resources. The Conservation Commission administers and enforces the Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act, the Massachusetts Rivers Protection Act and the City of Holyoke Wetlands Protection Ordinance and associated Regulations.


Licensing Board:

The Board grants and regulates various types of alcohol and food licenses for restaurants, nightclubs, private clubs, package stores, hotels, and inns. The Board also issues and regulates licenses for a common victuallers (food only), hotels (both with alcohol and without alcohol), bowling alleys, pool tables, lodging houses, and fortune tellers. Need an application? Stop in and see them.


Retirement Board:

The Retirement Board is responsible for providing City employees and retirees with information regarding retirement benefits and regulations.  

Share This Page

Last Updated on January 10, 2013 by