School Committee Text Size
Event takes place on February 23, 2015 at 6:00 PM
Dean Tech High School, 1045 Main Street
SCHOOL COMMITTEE AGENDA
DATE: MONDAY, FEBRUARY 23, 2015
TIME: 6:00 PM
LOCATION: Fifield Community Room Dean Technical High School, 1045 Main Street
- CALL TO ORDER ~ ROLL CALL ~ PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
- PUBLIC DISCUSSION*
- COMMUNICATIONS & REPORTS
- Student Reports
- Superintendent’s Communications
- Vice Chair Report
- Legislative Update
- NEW BUSINESS
- Reports of Committees
- Leadership Accountability & Measurement Committee – February 10, 2015 (pages 1-6)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the subcommittee’s recommendation to invite principals, with the approval of administration, to a subcommittee to discuss the lunch/recess schedule for K-8 schools.
RECOMMENDATION:That the School Committee vote to accept the subcommittee’s recommendation to approve the Superintendent’s goals for 2014/2015. (pages 6a-6c)
- Communications & Policies Subcommittee – February 12, 2015 (pages 7-19)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the subcommittee’s recommendation to accept the recommendation from the Health Department regarding the lifeguard item in the Pool Rental Agreement (item #5) and revise that item accordingly. (See Old Business pages 29-31)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the subcommittee’s recommendation that the new (building rental) policy and fee schedule be effective July 1, 2015. (See Old Business pages 32-34)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to accept the subcommittee’s recommendation and approve the dual enrollment program policy, with the recommended changes: (1) No more than 18 credits (per calendar year); (2) Acknowledgement of the receipt of college credit and its counting as high school credit would appear on the high school transcript but the grade would not appear on the high school transcript; (3) Director of Student Services or designee shall approve courses; (4) Students may only take dual enrollment courses that are not offered as AP at the high school, as a second reading. (pages 10-11)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the subcommittee’s recommendation and approve the revision of Policy ADDA Background Checks (attached), as a second reading. (pages 12-19)
- Introduced by Committee members John Brunelle and John Whelihan, that the school administration establish an ad hoc committee, to include the Athletic Director, to discuss the formation of a Holyoke High School Athletic Hall of Fame.
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the order and request that (HHS) school administration establish an ad hoc committee, to include the Athletic Director, to discuss the formation of a Holyoke High School Athletic Hall of Fame.
- City Council Orders (pages 20-23)
- In support of School Committee, Superintendent and School Department and in retaining local control of schools. (Adopted February 3, 2015)
- Loan Order for Boiler and HVAC Projects at Morgan and E.N. White Schools (Adopted February 3, 2015)
- OLD BUSINESS
- McMahon School – MSBA Project – Public Records Request Update
- MSBA – McMahon School Project Removal from Capital Pipeline
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee take the item off the table.
- Building Rental Policy (pages 24-35)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the revised Building Rental Policy as a third and final reading.
- EXECUTIVE SESSION
- To go into Executive Session to discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining with Therapists, Teachers (grievance arbitration), because an open meeting might have a detrimental effect on the bargaining position of the School Committee, [not] to return to open session.
The listing of matters are those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.
*The Holyoke Public Schools makes available a public discussion period for persons in the audience to address the Committee on specific agenda items. In order to hear as many speakers as possible, the Committee asks individuals to continue their remarks to two (2) minutes. Any person wishing to submit longer testimony should give copies to the Superintendent before the meeting so that it may be distributed to Committee members. The speaker can then summarize this testimony at the meeting within the two (2) minute time period. Persons wishing to speak should register with the Superintendent immediately before the meeting begins. Individuals who request specific items to be included on the Committee’s agenda should mail a written request fifteen (15) days in advance of a Committee meeting date to the Superintendent of Schools, 57 Suffolk Street, Holyoke, MA 01040.
Posted on February 18, 2015 by School Admin