School Committee Text Size
Event takes place on November 03, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Dean Technical High School, 1045 Main Street, Holyoke, MA
SCHOOL COMMITTEE AGENDA
DATE: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2014
TIME: 6:00 PM
LOCATION: Fifield Community Room Dean Technical High School, 1045 Main Street
- CALL TO ORDER ~ ROLL CALL ~ PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
- PUBLIC DISCUSSION*
- COMMUNICATIONS & REPORTS
- Student Reports
- Superintendent’s Communications
Quarterly Monitoring Report (pages 1-7)
HELI Presentation (pages 8-17)
Students v Staff Soccer Match – 11/5/14 @ 4:00 p.m.
- Vice Chair Report
- NEW BUSINESS
- Minutes of Meetings
- Joint City Council and School Committee of October 7, 2014 (pages 18-19)
- Regular Meeting of October 20, 2014 (pages 20-27)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the minutes.
- Home Education Approvals (page 28)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to receive the home education approvals.
- Introduced by Committee member Erin Brunelle, that administration provide information as to the current daily recess and lunch schedules for all K-8 schools.
- Introduced by Committee member John Brunelle, that a representative from the DPW, a representative from the Parks Department, and the Maintenance Administrator come to a School Committee meeting to discuss the care and maintenance of the Roberts Sports Complex.
- Introduced by Committee member John Brunelle, that the School Committee have a presentation on the Holyoke Public Schools recycling program.
- Introduced by Committee member John Brunelle, that administration provide an update on reimbursement procedures and requirements related to the contract with Project GRAD.
- Introduced by Committee member John Brunelle, that the Committee receive a report on class-size for all grade levels at all Holyoke Public Schools.
- Introduced by Committee member John Brunelle, that the Committee receive a report on current staffing levels, including all currently unfilled instructional
- Transfer Request (page 29)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the transfer request.
- Travel Requests (pages 30-31)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the travel requests.
- OLD BUSINESS
- High School Start and End Times (page 32)
RECOMMENDATION:That the School Committee vote to refer the high school start and end times to the Communications and Policies Subcommittee.
- Appointments (pages 33-35)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to receive the appointments.
- Resignations (page 36)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to receive the resignations.
- Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for Kelly School Playground – November 5 @ 10 a.m. (page 37)
- EXECUTIVE SESSION
- To go into Executive Session to discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining,, (HTA arbitration), to discuss strategy with respect to litigation, because an open meeting might have a detrimental effect on the bargaining or litigating position of the public body, [not] to return to open session.
The listing of matters are those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.
*The Holyoke Public Schools makes available a public discussion period for persons in the audience to address the Committee on specific agenda items. In order to hear as many speakers as possible, the Committee asks individuals to continue their remarks to two (2) minutes. Any person wishing to submit longer testimony should give copies to the Superintendent before the meeting so that it may be distributed to Committee members. The speaker can then summarize this testimony at the meeting within the two (2) minute time period. Persons wishing to speak should register with the Superintendent immediately before the meeting begins. Individuals who request specific items to be included on the Committee’s agenda should mail a written request fifteen (15) days in advance of a Committee meeting date to the Superintendent of Schools, 57 Suffolk Street, Holyoke, MA 01040.
Posted on October 28, 2014 by School Admin