School Committee Text Size
Event takes place on March 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Fifield Community Room @ Dean Technical HS 1045 Main St. Holyoke MA
CITY OF HOLYOKE
SCHOOL COMMITTEE AGENDA
DATE: MONDAY, MARCH 18, 2013
TIME: 6:15 PM
LOCATION: Fifield Community Room Dean Technical High School, 1045 Main Street
1. CALL TO ORDER ~ ROLL CALL ~ PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
- 2. PUBLIC DISCUSSION*
- 3. COMMUNICATIONS & REPORTS
- Student Reports
- Superintendent’s Communications
- 4. NEW BUSINESS
- Minutes of Meetings
- Regular Meeting of February 4, 2013 (pages 1-20)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the minutes.
- Request for Parent Representation on School Committee (page 21)
- Kelly School Field Trip Request to Connecticut Science Center (page 22)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the field trip request to Connecticut Science Center.
- Holyoke High School Field Trip Request to Italy (pages 23-27)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the field trip request to Italy.
- Donation of 2 Diesel Engines from City of Westfield to Dean (page 28)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to receive the donation of 2 diesel engines from the City of Westfield to Dean Technical High School.
- Request to Establish the Michael and Steve Zukowski Memorial Athletic Scholarship at Holyoke High School (pages 29-30)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve establishment of the Michael and Steve Zukowski Memorial Athletic Scholarship at Holyoke High School.
- Proposed Chronic Absenteeism Policy (pages 31-32)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to refer the Proposed Chronic Absenteeism Policy to Leadership, Accountability and Measurement Committee.
- Submitted by Committee member Lopez, that the Communications and Policies Committee review current regulations concerning Student Transportation Services (File EEA – see page 33)
- Submitted by Committee member Lopez, that the Communications and Policies Committee review Walkers and Riders (File EEAA – see page 34) and distances for all grades.
- Submitted by Committee member Lopez, that the Communications and Policies Committee review the Latch Key Program, as described in the Student Handbook (see page 35), and change (where students are brought) Center for Excellence to 57 Suffolk Street, Student Assignment Office.
5. OLD BUSINESS
- Communication from Principal Paul Hyry-Dermith Requesting Reconsideration of CFE Student Assignment to Peck (pages 36-37)
- Communication from Lynda Foisey, Associate Commissioner, Regarding Dean Turnaround (pages 38-39)
- Dean School Level 4 Monitoring Site Visit Report (pages 40-60)
- Update on Lawrence School Site
- City Council Order Establishing Sullivan School as Polling Location for Special Senate Primary and Election (page61)
- 6. PERSONNEL
- Appointments (pages 62-63)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to receive the appointments.
- RESIGNATIONS (page 64)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to receive the resignations.
- 7. ANNOUNCEMENTS
- MASC Division V Meeting – Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at Holyoke High School
- EXECUTIVE SESSION
The listing of matters are those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.
*The Holyoke Public Schools makes available a public discussion period for persons in the audience to address the Committee on specific agenda items. In order to hear as many speakers as possible, the Committee asks individuals to continue their remarks to two (2) minutes. Any person wishing to submit longer testimony should give copies to the Superintendent before the meeting so that it may be distributed to Committee members. The speaker can then summarize this testimony at the meeting within the two (2) minute time period. Persons wishing to speak should register with the Superintendent immediately before the meeting begins. Individuals who request specific items to be included on the Committee’s agenda should mail a written request fifteen (15) days in advance of a Committee meeting date to the Superintendent of Schools, 57 Suffolk Street, Holyoke, MA 01040.
Posted on March 14, 2013 by cityadmin