School Committee Text Size
Event takes place on September 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Fifield Community Room @ Dean Technical HS 1045 Main St. Holyoke MA
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN IN ACCORDANCE WITH CHAPTER 28 OF THE ACTS OF 2009, SECTIONS 17-20 (FORMERLY SECTION 23B OF CHAPTER 39) OF THE MASSACHUSETTS GENERAL LAWS, THAT A REGULAR MEETING OF THE HOLYOKE SCHOOL COMMITTEE WILL BE HELD AT 6:15 PM ON MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2013 IN THE FIFIELD ROOM AT DEAN TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL, 1045 MAIN STREET, IN THE CITY OF HOLYOKE.
DATE: MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2013
TIME: 6:15 PM
LOCATION: Fifield Community Room Dean Technical High School, 1045 Main Street
1. CALL TO ORDER ~ ROLL CALL ~ PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
- 2. PUBLIC DISCUSSION*
- 3. COMMUNICATIONS & REPORTS
- Student Reports
- Superintendent’s Communications
- Opening of Kindergarten
- Proclamation for Attendance Month
- 4. NEW BUSINESS
- Minutes of Meetings
- Special Meeting of September 3, 2013 (pages 1-8)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the minutes.
- Reports of Committees
- Resources and Capacity Building Committee of September 9, 2013 (pages 9-11)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to accept the subcommittee’s recommendation and approve the principal position at Metcalf as proposed by the Superintendent
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the subcommittee’s recommendation to accept the Superintendent’s recommendation (report) on the web site upgrade.
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the subcommittee’s recommendation and refer the issue of school playgrounds to the Joint City Council/School Committee subcommittee.
- Joint City Council/School Committee Subcommittee of August 19, 2013 (page 12)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to receive the minutes.
- Donation to Strings Program from Mr. Peter Jez (pages 13-15)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to receive the donation to the Strings Program.
- Donation of Dictionaries for Third Graders
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to receive the donation of dictionaries to all third graders.
Submitted by Committee member Greaney, that if a public meeting of the Holyoke School Committee is not accessible to the handicapped it shall be immediately moved to an area of the building that is handicapped accessible so that all citizens of the community can participate.
- Travel Requests (pages 16-18)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the travel requests.
5. OLD BUSINESS
- Lawrence School Update (page 19)
- Update on the Opening of School at Dean (pages 20)
- Jump Start Program Update (page 21)
- Communications to Students/Parents (pages 22-23)
- Communication from DESE re: Stipends (pages 24-25)
- Implementation Award for Year 3 Plans (pages 26-39)
- Implementation Award for Funding Years 4 & 5 (pages 40-49)
- Year 3 Budget (pages 50-52)
- Assistant Superintendent Posting Update
- 6. PERSONNEL
- Appointments (pages 53-54)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to receive the appointments.
- Retirements (page 55)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to receive the retirements.
- Resignations (page 56)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to receive the resignations.
- 7. ANNOUNCEMENTS
EXECUTIVE SESSION EXECUTIVE SESSION
a. To go into Executive Session to conduct collective bargaining sessions with Secretaries, [not] to return to open session.
*The Holyoke Public Schools makes available a public discussion period for persons in the audience to address the Committee on specific agenda items. In order to hear as many speakers as possible, the Committee asks individuals to continue their remarks to two (2) minutes. Any person wishing to submit longer testimony should give copies to the Superintendent before the meeting so that it may be distributed to Committee members. The speaker can then summarize this testimony at the meeting within the two (2) minute time period. Persons wishing to speak should register with the Superintendent immediately before the meeting begins. Individuals who request specific items to be included on the Committee’s agenda should mail a written request fifteen (15) days in advance of a Committee meeting date to the Superintendent of Schools, 57 Suffolk Street, Holyoke, MA 01040.
The listing of matters are those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.
Posted on September 12, 2013 by cityadmin