School Committee Text Size
Event takes place on August 20, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Fifield Community Room @ Dean Technical HS 1045 Main St. Holyoke MA
CITY OF HOLYOKE
SCHOOL COMMITTEE AGENDA
DATE: TUESDAY, AUGUST 20, 2013
TIME: 6:15 PM
LOCATION: Fifield Community Room Dean Technical High School, 1045 Main Street
1 CALL TO ORDER ~ ROLL CALL ~ PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
2. PUBLIC DISCUSSION*
3. COMMUNICATIONS & REPORTS
- Student Reports
- Superintendent’s Communications
- First Day of School
- Paulo Freire Charter School Recruitment Update (page 1)
4. NEW BUSINESS
- Minutes of Meetings
- Regular Meeting of August 5, 2013 (pages 2-5)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the minutes.
- Dean Graduation Requirements (pages 6-7)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the proposed Dean graduation requirements.
- Co-Op Hockey Program Update
- Metcalf School – Spanish Program (pages 8-9)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the Metcalf School Spanish Program as proposed.
- Metcalf Interim Principal (page 10)
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to refer to Resources and Capacity Building Subcommittee.
- f. Orders
- Introduced by Committee member Garcia, that administration gather information on the feasibility of opening a public day school.
- Introduced by Committee member Garcia, requesting that administration provide an update of the effectiveness of the GOMath Program.
5. OLD BUSINESS
- Project GRAD Update
- Dean Science Lab Update
- 2013-2014 School Calendar Change – Kindergarten Start Date ( pages 11-13 [proposed calendar on page 11 / previously approved calendar on page 12])
RECOMMENDATION: That the School Committee vote to approve the school calendar and change the pre-school/kindergarten start date from September 9 to September 4, 2013.
- Superintendent Evaluation Materials (pages 13-33)
EXECUTIVE SESSION EXECUTIVE SESSION
a. To go into Executive Session to conduct collective bargaining sessions with Paraprofessionals, to conduct strategy session with regard to litigation (HTA / Labor Relations), and to discuss contract with legal counsel, [not] to return to open session.
The listing of matters are those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.
The Holyoke Public Schools makes available a public discussion period for persons in the audience to address the Committee on specific agenda items. In order to hear as many speakers as possible, the Committee asks individuals to continue their remarks to two (2) minutes. Any person wishing to submit longer testimony should give copies to the Superintendent before the meeting so that it may be distributed to Committee members. The speaker can then summarize this testimony at the meeting within the two (2) minute time period. Persons wishing to speak should register with the Superintendent immediately before the meeting begins. Individuals who request specific items to be included on the Committee’s agenda should mail a written request fifteen (15) days in advance of a Committee meeting date to the Superintendent of Schools, 57 Suffolk Street, Holyoke, MA 01040.
Posted on August 15, 2013 by cityadmin