Public Safety Committee Meeting Text Size
Event takes place on March 31, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Holyoke City Hall: Council Chambers
Notice of Committee Meeting
There will be a Regular Meeting of the Committee on
At City Hall in the Council Chambers Monday March 31, 2014
Per order of the Chairperson: Linda Vacon
- Approval of previous meeting minutes
- Police Chief & Mayor appear before the City Council to discuss/explain the 10 day suspension related to Lt. John Hart for the second time in 2 years misplacing/losing a firearm in public in our city. Please be prepared to discuss the rationale behind this his first and then second suspension so the public can learn all of the facts and judge for themselves if such a penalty was warranted. We also need to understand to the extent to which the public is being jeopardized by the potentially negligent behavior by one of our officers. We also need to understand police department policies and decisions as it relates to mishandling of city owned firearms issued to the police. Be also prepared to discuss the potential for liability to the city that could have arisen from these incidents.
- the police department provide copies of all incident reports, investigative reports, emails, memorandums, disciplinary reports, decisions and other communications related to both missing firearms incidents (September 2011 & November 2013) regarding Lt. Hart so the City Council has the benefit of all the same information they have. Please provide this information to the City Council within 14 days of receipt of this request.
- Order: That the Public Safety Committee have the DPW, Police Department, and Parking enforcement agents come in to discuss the tracking process and enforcement of tickets. Aso to provide the Committee with a break down of total number of tickets issued from 2009 to present.
- Bartley, Soto: That Holyoke Police Department’s new Code Enforcement and Community Relations officers appear before the City Council to provide an overview of the Police Department’s plans for these areas of policing.
- Bartley: Due to a recent accident on Brown Ave. in which a dog was left for dead by a hit-and-run motorist, the City Council directs HPD to conduct speed and traffic surveillance, to issue tickets as necessary, and to report back to the Holyoke City Council.
- Bresnahan: Ordered that the Historical Commission come before the Council to discuss the status of “the Bud”
- Soto: Ordered that the Personnel Director come before the City Council to provide an update on Personnel Records from Police and Fire
- Bartley: Ordered that the City Council be provided a list of the vendors, other than those dealing in alcohol-related businesses, paying fees charged by the License Board. Please note whether the vendors are current and quantify the amounts remitted for the last two years.
Ryan M. Allen: Administrative Assistant
The listing of matters are those reasonably anticipated by the chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.
Posted on March 27, 2014 by allenr