Parks and Recreation Commission Text Size
Event takes place on February 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM until 6:00 PM
536 Dwight Street, Holyoke MA 01040
1. Call to Order
2. Acceptance of Minutes
Commission Meeting held on December 12, 2012.
3. Correspondence Received
• Susan Kelly, Executive Director, Children’s Museum. Thank you for supporting 1st Night Jr., held at the Holyoke Heritage State Park Complex on December 31, 2012.
• Holyoke License Board – Public Hearing will be held on February 13, 2013 at 6:00 pm, in the City Hall Council Chambers for an application for a new Annual Wine and Malt Alcohol License for Carl’s Pizza, d/b/a TNT Pizza.
• Department of Conservation and Recreation. Notice of the “Use Nature as Your Guide” Program.
• Sara Carroll, Law Department – Legal opinion regarding Insurance for Sports Leagues.
• Adrian Powell, petition to ban the sale of toy guns by vendors at the St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
• Kara Chuna – Law Department, opinion regarding liability waivers/insurance for private rentals at the ice skating path at Community Field.
• Elizabeth Rodriguez-Ross – Revised City Ordinance:
Be it ordained by the City Council of the City of Holyoke as follows:
Section1. Article IV entitled “Boards, Commissions and Councils” of Chapter 2 entitled “Administration” of the Revised Code of Ordinances of the City of Holyoke, Massachusetts, 1997, as amended, is hereby further amended by the following:
Sec.2-412. Time for holding meetings
All municipal boards, whose members are all appointed by the Mayor, City Council or a combination of the two, shall convene all public meetings at 5:00 p.m., or later. A board, through its chairperson, may request an exemption from this section for a particular meeting by requesting so in writing from the Mayor. If the Mayor approves the exemption, it shall be forwarded to the City Council President for approval. The City Council President shall notify the board chairperson of the approval or denial. The City Council President shall also notify the City Council at its next regularly scheduled meeting of any exemptions that were approved or denied by the President.
Section 2. All ordinances or parts of ordinances inconsistent herewith are hereby repealed.
Section 3. This ordinance shall take effect on that date of passage.
• Submission of Revenue Estimating for Fiscal Year 2012 to City Auditor Brian G. Smith.
• January Appropriations Budget Report
5. City Council Orders Received:
Introduced by Councilor Gordon Paul Alexander
Ordered, Whereas: The State requires that the City Open Space Plan be updated every five years in order to qualify for various grants and reimbursements to the City, and
Whereas: The City of Holyoke has in accordance with State Law updated is Open Space Plan, which has been approved by the Conservation Commission, the Recreation Commission and Planning Board, and
Whereas City Council Approval and the Mayor’s signature is required for the adoption of this Plan,
Ordered” That the Council review the Plan for approval at its earliest opportunity. In City Council, November 20, 2012. Received and referred to the Public Service Committee. In City Council February 5, 2013 report of committee received and plan approved on a call of the roll of yeas and nays: 14 Year Absent 1.
6. New Business
• Review of all Parks & Recreation Department’s 2013 policy’s and fees
Including Community Field rental/permitting rates
• Year End Roberts Field Report
Request for waiver of permitting fees. (Adult Softball)
• Vault Replacement –HG & E. Hampden & Lincoln Street Proposed Location
• Yearly paid advertisement for seasonal, part-time positions
• Applications are available for vendors, at Crosier Field on the day of the parade. Veterans Park will not be available for vendors on the day of the Road Race, because of construction.
7. Old Business
• Skate Park – Update
• New England Collegiate Baseball League – Contract
• RFP for Management Services to operate the Jones Ferry River Access Center. Proposals were due for submission on or before February 1, 2013.
• Holyoke Rows – Contractual Obligations
8. Recreation Update
• Girls Softball & Holyoke Youth Baseball Sign up Dates
• Community Field – Ice Skating, Valentines Day & School Vacation Week
• Sponsorship of vacation week activities of the Holyoke Heritage State Park Complex.
• Holyoke High School – Open Swim during School Vacation Week
• Holyoke High School – 2nd Annual Dog Show, Saturday, March 1, 2013
• Annual Spring Celebration/Egg Hunt-Saturday, March 30th, at the Holyoke Heritage State Park Complex.
• Summer Camp Programs will take place beginning on June 18th, and run through August 9th. Camps include Basketball, tennis, Field Hockey, rowing/Kayaking and the Amaral Soccer Camp. Registrations will begin on Monday, March 18th.
9. New Hires (seasonal, part-time)
Kristopher Tardy, Community Field Support Staff
Michael Riffenburg, Community Field Support Staff
10. Next Meeting Date
Posted on February 17, 2013 by cityadmin