Ordinance Committee Meeting Text Size
Event takes place on January 26, 2016 at 6:30 PM
Holyoke City Hall: Council Chambers
Notice of Committee Meeting
There will be a regular meeting of the Committee on
At City Hall in the Council Chamber, on Tuesday, January 26, at 6:30 PM
Per order of the Chair: Linda Vacon
1. Jourdain 6/16/15: Order: That the City Engineer investigate stopping the allowance for right on red turning from Rt 141 onto Northampton Street in front of the Northampton Street Fire Station
2. Vacon 10/6/15: Ordered that “no overnight parking” signs be placed in front of 5 Donlee St. and across from 5 Donlee per request of resident
3. Leahy 10/6/15: Ordered that Donlee St. to be posted residential parking.
4. Bresnahan 9/15/15: Ordered that DPW install appropriate signage stating local traffic only, no commercial vehicles on Lower Westfield Rd. from Whiting Farms Rd. to Holy Family and on Rt. 5 at the bottom of Lower Westfield Rd.
5. Jourdain 6/24/15: Order: that whenever a State or Federal statute or regulation calls for local approval of any law for applicability in the City of Holyoke that local approval shall only be granted by the City Council
6. Jourdain: Ordered that an ordinance be created which states that licenses in land or other real property of the City may not be issued until two-thirds of the City Council has approved
7. Jourdain 12/1/15: Ordered that the relevant sections of Chapter 86 of the Code of Ordinances be amended to allow the Holyoke Housing Authority to issue permits for parking on Leary Dr. and to authorize the Holyoke Housing Authority to tow vehicles parked without permits. Further, that that the listing of spaces on Leary Dr. be reviewed and amended as necessary to update the location of the permit parking spaces and visitor spaces
8. Jordain: Ordered that handicap sign be placed in front of 79 Newton St. for CarlosGarcia
9. Bartley 1/5/16: Ordered that handicap sign be placed in front of 62 Elm St. for Gail A. Bergeron.
10. Alexander 3/4/14: Ordered: That the Council adopt an ordinance requiring that any appointees or reappointees to City Boards, Commissions, Committes or other official or semi-official City entities, including any such groups constituted by and for quasi-Governmental agency
11. Bartley 12/2/14: Order that the name be changed on the portion of Coit St. that is west of Hillside Ave.
12. Jourdain 6/2/15: Ordered that Ordinance 2-421 re: time for holding meetings, be expanded to clos any possible loophole for certain boards such as the Retirement Board which is holding meetings at 9am
13. Jourdain 6/6/15: Ordered that the City Engineer investigate stopping the allowance for right on red turning from Rt. 141 onto Northampton St. in front of the Northampton St. Fire Station
14. Alexander 3/4/14: Ordered: That Ordinance Sec 10 either add a definitions section, or update the term of use “Shooting Gallery,” or drop all references to said term if appropriate, and further update the fee for a license for said activity from the current amount of $2.00
15. Alexander 3/4/14: Ordered: That the City Council adopt an Ordinance requiring owners of stores utilizing Shopping Carts to retrieve carts abandoned off-premises within a reasonable timeframe, and establishing a fine and enforcement mechanism for failure to comply
16. Alexander 3/4/14: Ordered: That section 90-90 “Sewer use Charge” be amended to replace the fixed minimum quarterly rate (currently $5.00) with a minimum quarterly rate equivalent to the 2,000 gallon rate (currently $10.80)
17. Alexander 3/4/14: Ordered: That the Council create a position of Inspector of Licenses with appropriate duties and powers to ensure compliance with the conditions attached to any License or Permit granted or monitored by the Commission
Alexander 3/4/14: Ordered: That Ordinance Sec 14-1 be altered to change the Licensing Authority for Commercial Animal Establishments from the City Clerk’s office to the License Commission, and further that Sec 14-2 be amended to remove reference to specific fees.
18. Alexander 3/4/14: Ordered: That Chapter 30 be reviewed for utility and effectiveness, and that said Commission either be constituted by the appropriate appointments or that Chapter 30 be stricken in its entirety from the Municipal Code
19. Alexander 3/4/14: Ordered: That Sec 98-256 be reviewed for relevance and that either (a) the Board members be appointed in accordance with the Ordinance and meet to provide advice to the City on ambulance services, or (b) the Board structure be revised as appropriate and necessary
20. Alexander 3/4/14: That section Ordinance Appendix A (Zoning) Section 4 .8.2 (Home Occupation by Special Permit) be amended to replace the City Council by the Planning Board as the Permit Issuing Authority
21. Alexander 3/4/14: That 70-31 through 70-33 be moved to Chapter 2, Article IV (Boards, Commissions & Councils), and that Chapter 70 then be stricken
22. Alexander 3/4/14: Ordered: That Chapter 14 be reviewed in its entirety, dividing it into separate sections for commercial and individual keepers, that redundant materials be removed and the language streamlined to accomplish the intent of the various sections of the Chapter
23. Alexander 3/4/14: That Chapter 22 Article III (Fortune Tellers) be amended to replace permit issuance by the Police Department with issuance by the License Commission, that section 22-103 (Fee) be amended to remove reference to a specific amount and the setting of such fee
24. Alexander 3/4/14: Ordered: That each of the twenty sections of Chapter 54 be reviewed and moved to a more appropriate location within the Code, and that Chapter 54 then be stricken.
25. Alexander 3/4/14: Ordered: That these three Chapters ( Wetlands, Vegetation, Protection) be combined into a single section consolidating environment-related Municipal Code into a single Chapter
26. Alexander 3/4/14: Ordered: That Chapter 62 be reviewed for (a) streamlining, (b) inclusion as one or more Divisions of Chapter 22 (Businesses), (c) to revise section 62-32 (Peddler’s License- Registration Required)’s requirement of a Police-issued Permit with a License Commission permit
27. Alexander 3/4/14: Ordered: That Ordinance Sec 10-51 (Billard etc. licenses) be changed to require a license issued by the License Commission rather than the City Council
28. Alexander 3/4/14: Ordered: That the Director of the Department of Municipal Parking, working with the advice of the Parking Advisory Board, be granted the authority to set regular and special rates for all city parking facilities, including both on-street and off-street parking
29. Alexander 3/4/14: Ordered: That Chapter 22 Sec 22-71 (Auction Licenses) be amended to replace issuance by the City Council with issuance by the License Commission, and that section 22-73 (Fee) be amended to remove reference to a specific amount and the setting of such fee
30. Bartley 4/1/14: Order: The ordinances pertaining to dog license fees ($5), other animal fees, if any, and the penalty for late payment ($25) shall be reviewed and changed, if necessary. Also, to the extent possible, the city should coordinate with the District Court.
31. Alexander 4/1/14: Ordered: That the DPW begin a test of yellow curbing rather than no parking signs in a section of downtown to determine if such markings can be used throughout the city in place of “no parking” sign
32. Lisi 4/15/14: Order: That the City Council consider adopting an ordinance that prohibits mobile vendors from selling toy guns
33. Chateauneuf 5/6/14: Order: City install “Do Not Block Driveway” signs at entrance to Dino’s restaurant on Homestead Avenue. The congestion from traffic makes it difficult for customers to get in and out of the parking lot
34. Alexander 5/20/14: Ordered: That the Ordinance Committee consider various updates to Zoning sec 7.2.6 (Boarding Houses) and related information in Zoning sec 2.0 (Definitions) and sec 4.3 (Table of Principal Uses) to make them consistent and in agreement with state law
35. Bartley 6/3/14: Order: That the City of Holyoke amends Chapter 30 of its Code of Ordinances to provide for the public procurement of banking service.
36. Soto 6/3/14: Order: That the City of Holyoke amends Chapter 30 of its Code of Ordinances to provide for the public procurement of ambulance service.
37. Bartley 6/3/14: That the City of Holyoke amend Chapter 30 of its Code of Ordinances to provide for the public procurement of outside legal counsel
38. Valentin 6/3/14: Order: that the registration fees for vacant buildings be reviewed to determine if an increase is warranted based on the numerous vacant properties throughout the City and the issues with noncompliance regarding Sec. 18-35 Regulation of blighted and vacant buildings
39. Jourdain 6/17/14: Order: That an ordinance be created stating that all financial transfers including intra-departmental transfers from personnel, to personnel, or expense to expense shall require City Council approval.
Administrative Assistant: Ryan M. Allen
The listing of matters are those reasonable anticipated by the chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.
Posted on January 22, 2016 by allenr