Public Safety Meeting Text Size
Event takes place on June 22, 2015 at 6:30 PM
Holyoke City Hall: Council Chambers
Notice of Committee Meeting
There will be a regular meeting of the Committee on
At City Hall in the Council Chamber, on Monday June 22 at 6:30PM
Per order of the Chair: Linda Vacon
- Vacon 4/21/15: Ordered that County Road be evaluated for elimination of the passing zones as they encourage an increased rate of speed by drivers.
- McGee 4/21/15: Ordered that the City Engineer study the intersection of Magnolia and Mackenzie and determine if a Stop sign, yield sign, or other appropriate traffic sign be installed to address the traffic issues in the area.
- Vacon 5/5/15: Ordered that an evaluation and steps to improve the safety and traffic flow of the intersection of Lower Westfield Rd., Holy Family Rd. and the entrances to the old geriatric authority and the Congregate Housing be completed in light of the Mayor’s approval of a license for the Western MA Correctional Alcohol Center. According to the website the program will house 164 men and 18 women.
- Leahy 5/5/15: Ordered that the Superintendent of Public Schools, Commissioner Chester and the Chief of the Police department come before the Public Safety subcommittee. The topic that will be addressed is truancy in our public schools. The cities public schools were put into receivership because of test scores. Its unfair to blame is on the teachers. The truancy rate is unacceptable. Please be ready to discuss this and what are the next steps to decrease this statistic.
- Soto 5/5/15: That the Board of Health come before the City Council to discuss its plans to deal with opioid drug use in the City of Holyoke including prevention and treatment programs and coordination with other agencies and institutions.
- McGee 10/1/13: the chief of police, DPW, and board of health director be invited to come before the public safety committee to discuss and/or provide a safety plan on dealing with needles found by constituents. Several constituents have expressed concern that there is no procedure in place to deal with the proper and safe disposal of needles when needles are found on sidewalks or on/in park areas.
- Bartley 9/2/14: Ordered that DPW and United Water ensure the drainage system near 207 Fairmont St. can handle the water run-off capacity and take any corrective measures necessary. Recent storms have flooded resident’s home and backyard with water pouring into his property from the street.
- McGee 6/3/14: Ordered that the DPW and United Water look into the catch basin drainage issues at the corner of Woods Ave. and Francis Ave. During heavy rains water enters several residences on Woods Ave.
Administrative Assistant: Ryan M. Allen
The listing of matters are those reasonable anticipated by the chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.
Posted on June 16, 2015 by allenr