Charter and Rules Committee Meeting Text Size
Event takes place on April 17, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Holyoke City Hall Council Chambers
Notice of Committee Meeting
There will be a Regular Meeting of the Committee on
Charter and Rules
At the City Hall Council Chambers, Thursday, April 17, 2014
Per order of the Chairperson: Gordon Alexander
Tabled items from prior meetings:
- Jourdain 1/21/14: Adopt a rule to add a semi-annual State Legislator’s Report to the agenda
- Soto, Bresnahan 2/4/14: Reduce the number of at-large Councilors from 8 to 4
- Bresnahan, Soto, Vega 3/19/13: Reduce the size of the Council to be more aligned with the current population.
- Jourdain, etc 1/21/14: That the acquisition or disposition of real property by the G&E require a 2/3 vote of the Council
- Leahy, Bresnahan ADOPTED 1/9/14: That the City of Holy9oke start the proceedings to combine the water and Sewer departments
- McGiverin (2/18/14): That the Council create a new rule establishing deadlines for subcommittee agendas
- MCGEE (3/4/14): Ordered, that City Council establish a “property committee” or amend the duties of a current committee to work with the City on tax delinquent properties
- JOURDAIN (3/4/14): Ordered, that Rule 39 relative to President signing ordained ordinances be deleted. This is an out-dated and unnecessary procedure.
- ALEXANDER (3/4/14) Ordered: That Rule 38 be changed to require only the receipt of the appropriate committee report(s), Motion to Adopt the proposed Ordinance, debate, and a roll-call vote on adoption of the proposed Ordinance.
- JOURDAIN (3/4/14): Ordered, that a new rule be created that Special Meetings of the City Council may be called by the President consistent with the Mayor’s Authority in Section 12 of the Charter as follows:The President of the City Council may at any time call a special meeting of the City Council by causing written notifications thereof, together with a statement of the subjects to be considered thereat, to be deposited in the post office, postpaid and addressed to the persons to be notified, at least forty-eight hours before the time appointed for such meeting, or to be left at the usual place of residence of each member of the Council, at least twenty-four hours before the time appointed for such meeting.
- JOURDAIN, Alexander (3/4/14): Ordered, that Rule 18 be amended to add the words, “or member of the general public” after the word “member.”
- JOURDAIN (3/4/14): Ordered, that Rule 64 be amended as follows: RULE 64: There will be a public comment agenda item at each regular council meeting. A time where citizens of Holyoke could may speak freely about City Council related issues both on and off the meeting’s agenda. The overall amount of time allowed for this, how it is structured and limits on individual time for speaking can be discussed shall be controlled by theCity Council President. Speakers are required to maintain proper decorum and speak in respectful terms. The City Council president would have has overall control of this aspect of the meeting.
- MCGEE, Alexander, Bresnahan, Lebron-Martinez, Soto, Tallman (3/18/14): Ordered, that the residency requirement for the DPW Director be given an exception due to the fact that he has served the City for over 25 years and that the requirement has never been enforced.
- TALLMAN (3/18/14): Ordered, that That the Holyoke City Council adopt the provisions of M.G.L c32 section 20A pertaining to the indemnification of members of municipal retirement boards.
Ryan M. Allen: Administrative Asst. City Council
The listing of matters are those reasonably anticipated by the chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.
Posted on April 15, 2014 by allenr