Historical Commission Purpose
The Holyoke Historical Commission is a seven-member board established on November 20, 1972 by a vote of the Holyoke Board of Alderman/City Council.
The Commission's most important goal is the preservation of Holyoke's historic places. The purpose of the Holyoke Historical Commission is to work toward this goal by planning for and implementing programs for the identification, evaluation and protection of its community's historic resources.
The Holyoke Historical Commission works in cooperation with other municipal agencies to insure that the goals of historic preservation are considered in planning for future development of the community. The Commission also coordinates with other local groups whose interests involve history or historic preservation; The Commission also serves as the liaison between these groups on matters pertaining to historic preservation programs; and is mandated to be the local municipal "watchdog" for state and federal preservation agencies, alerting them to local preservation issues.
Chapter 40, Section 8D of Massachusetts General Laws identifies five responsibilities for all commissions established under this Chapter:
- Conducting research on places of historical or architectural value
- Cooperating with the State Archaeologist in conducting surveys and reporting on sites
- Coordinating with other preservation organizations
- Keeping accurate records of its actions and filling an annual report and
- Maintaining a membership of not less than three or more than seven members, duly appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council.
Optional responsibilities include:
- Prepare and distribute publications
- Make recommendations to the City Council, and Massachusetts Historical Commission
- Hold hearings
- Enter into contracts and other agreements
- Accept gifts to further its work
- Hire staff and
- Acquire property in the community's name
The Commission can help you with these other items:
- Holyoke National Register/State Register of Historic Places 2011
- State Register of Historic Places 2011
2012- Hampden Park NRD
- Historic House Plaque Plaque application2013
- Historic Tax Credits
- Resources for Historic Homes
- Demolition Delay information (PDF of ordinance)
- Farr House Watch............see www.savethefarrmansion.org for more information
- National Register nominations
- Holyoke's Historic Inventory 20pdf
- MHC-MPPF - City Hall Stained Glass Grant
- INSURANCE FOR HISTORIC HOMES
- Holyoke Historical Preservation nomination application & Scoring Rubric 2013
- Holyoke Historical Commission Preservation Awards 2013
- Preservation Awards 2013 - Recipients
Please check the city calendar for monthly agenda.
Meeting are on the first Wednesday of the Month:
Next meeting: December 4th , 2013 -City Hall-2nd Floor-6:30
No staff members yet.
No posts found.
If you are interested in viewing meeting minutes, please click on the links below to download a PDF.
Fairfield Avenue Local Historic District Commission
Chapter 18 (Article III sec. 18-95)
Matthew Chenier (property owner) - term expires Jul. 1, 2016
Olivia Mausel (mayoral choice) - term expires Jul. 1, 2016
Peter Papineau (architect) - term expires Jul. 1, 2015
Sandra Parent - term expires Jul. 1, 2014
Beth Strycharz - term expires Jul. 1, 2015
James Sutter - term expires Jul. 1, 2014
Wendy Weiss - term expires Jul. 1, 2014
Fairfield Avenue Local Historic District_registry map
Fairfield Ave Sheet/page and book
Proposed Polish Heritage Summary Report – June 2013
download application for EXTERIOR changes ONLY…..MUST BE APPROVED BEFORE CONTRACTORS BEGIN………. PERMITS WILL NOT BE GRANTED UNTIL APPROVAL FROM FAIRFIELD COMMISSION
2013–2014 Fairfield application download
FAIRFIELD AVENUE MINUTES OCT. 2013…. more to come
January 8th, 2014
Watch for the results of the VOTE for the Polish Heritage Local Historic District —-
Dec…2013—— CITY COUNCIL VOTE
we are looking for a final December vote by the full city council……..stay tuned!!
Peter R. Tallman
Brenna M. McGee
Joseph M. McGiverin
James M. Leahy
Kevin A. Jourdain
Gordon Paul Alexander
Jason P. Ferreira
David K. Bartley
Holyoke City Hall 536 Dwight Street Holyoke, MA. 01040 Map
Share This Page
Posted on December 20, 2012 by Olivia